ICS...

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Kraven, Sep 23, 2006.

1. Kraven

Kraven Kilobyte Poster

Hey guys,

Dunno if anyones heard of ICS, but their a home training company and their advert is on the TV alot. Anyway they do a A+ and Network+ course together and I was just woundering if anyone has any experience with ICS..Good or Bad? The course costs £629.10, but this doesnt include the price for the exams.

Thanks
    Kraven

Certifications: Network+, MCSA, 70-680
    WIP: A+, 70-685
  2. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

Hey Kraven,

Read this

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  3. Kraven

Kraven Kilobyte Poster

Thanks for the link but they talking about ICS (London) Ltd that deal with banking institutions, not the ICSlearn guys who you can do courses with.

Thanks Anyway
    Kraven

4. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Do you meant these guys http://www.icslearn.co.uk/ there seems to be some confusion about the two companies on a regular basis. :rolleyes:

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  5. Kraven

Kraven Kilobyte Poster

Yeah I wanted to know about the icslearn guys.

Kraven

6. bmurray2005

bmurray2005 Bit Poster

I was on the verge of taking up their £629.10 course until i realised that you can self-study and register for the exams without going through a training company. plus, if you register for the exams through ICS they charge you £118, if you do it yourself its only £108. £10 in your pocket straight away. not to mention the £629 you save by not going with them.
    you do NOT get access to a personal advisor on these courses either so all you would get is a link to their student community. i would say this forum is far better to get help and advice from and if you need an incentive then the exams are changing in march so if you dont get your studying done in time you will have to do extrawork for the new exams.

hope this helps.

7. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I don't know about the quality of the training course or have any experience with ICS yet, however the price of the course £629.10 doesn't sound too bad compared to other training providers and of course this is distance learning. However please remember to add another £150 approx for the vouchers (if bought thru www.getcertifiedforless.com - the international vouchers).

Another distance learning course that you may be interested in is from http://www.bteccomputerengineering.co.uk/ not as indepth as the A+ but also a good starting point.

If you want to do attend the course check out your local tech/college first, as for example one local college is offering the A+ course for £395 then £189 for the exams. And this is offered as evening classes.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  8. SlideAway

SlideAway New Member

a definite no no here. I signed up for the mcse course for around a grand. the books came pretty promptly but when i asked about my tutor i was given the phone number for the guy who 'sorts any problems with the disks'! I couldn't believe it, i was gonna start a very intensive course of study and my only point of contact was some poor disk bloke. they do say that you can consult with others in a student community but at the time i thought about doing it (4/2005) i couldn't even enter the forum. my advice if you don't want to study through a training centre is tonnes of motivation and help from the folks on this forum. also when i questioned them about the contract they wouldn't budge until i spoke to the citizens advice beureau who basically made them reimburse me.

Certifications: MCSE, CCNA, A+, N+, Security+
    WIP: 70-653