ICND1 exam

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by alliasneo, Sep 11, 2011.

1. alliasneo

alliasneo New Member

Hey everyone, I feel like I'm a bit stuck with my studying at the moment. I've bought trainsignals ccna which is really
    Good and I have wendell odems icnd1 book. I've tried a couple of practice exams and I've got 70%, 68% and 62%.
    I've studied a lot of theory and I understand about arp, dns and switches and I feel I've got most if the commands fixed in memory but I keep failing the practices. Some of the questions on the exam I don't even seem to understand. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post questions from a practice exam up?
    I'm just a bit stuck as to where to go with my studying really. Does anyone have an ideas at all?

I feel like I know the material but I can't get the questions nailed on the exams.

Thanks
    Daryl

2. cisco lab rat

cisco lab rat Megabyte Poster

Could you describe the purpose of the following:

The four main functions of a Bridge/Switch when maintaining the MAC table.

I don't think you can post the questions from the book here, but then again how many ways can you ask "RIP is classed as which type of protocol? Hybrid, Distance Vector, Link State, Path Vector?"

Certifications: Yes I pretty much am!!
    WIP: Fizzicks Degree
  3. alliasneo

alliasneo New Member

I've been looking at this question for a while and no I'm nit sure I completely understand what it's asking. I know switches complete there MAC tables by looking at the source mac address of a frame and logging it next to the Ethernet port it came in on.
    It checks the destination address and sees if it has an entry, if not it will flood the frame.

Is this correct?

4. cisco lab rat

cisco lab rat Megabyte Poster

Correct:

When a switch gets an ethernet frame it learns the source L2 address and maps it to the ingress port, and sets an absolute timer of 300 second age timer which is reset when the switch recieves a frame with the same source L2 address.

The switch checks the destination L2 for the correct egress port, if the switch cannot find the L2 address in the MAC table it will flood the frame out of all ports except the port the frame was received on.

Caveat to the above is that the switch will only flood the frame out of ports that are members of the same vlan that the frame originated on, so if the frame came in on vlan X then the switch will only flood the frame out of ports that are members of vlan x and any trunk links that can carry the trafffic, hence the Vlan creates a broadcast domain

The switch will also flood broadcasts and Multicasts along with unknown unicasts.

Cheers

Joe

Certifications: Yes I pretty much am!!
    WIP: Fizzicks Degree
  5. Greg Clark

Greg Clark New Member

Hello everyone,

I feel like I'm a bit stuck with my studies at the time. CCNA is actually bought trainsignals

Wendell and I have a good Odem ICND1 book. I tried a practice exam and 70%, 68% and 62%.

I studied a lot of theory and understand ARP, DNS and switches, and feel I have gotten more if the orders still in memory, but I still do not practice. Some of the questions on the exam, do not even seem to understand. I do not know if I may ask questions of a practical test up?

I'm just a little 'stuck on where to go in my office really. Does anyone have any ideas?