ICND1 Cisco Press Books

Discussion in 'Routing & Switching' started by Simonvm, Sep 9, 2010.

1. Simonvm

Simonvm Kilobyte Poster

Hi!

This week I started learning for the ICND1 exam. I already had this book:

Interconnecting Cisco Network Devices, Part 1 (ICND1): CCNA Exam 640-802 and ICND1 Exam 640-822 (Self-Study Guide)

On numerous sources, one of which being Craigie's CCENT Study Guide, I saw people referring to another book:

CCENT/CCNA ICND1 Official Exam Certification Guide (CCENT Exam 640-822 and CCNA Exam 640-802)

The second one seems to get much better reviews (5 stars on Amazon), and apparently also has the Boson simulator with it.
    Now, will the first book be sufficient (is everything for the exam covered?) or is it better to spend another 18 £ on the Certification Guide?

Last edited: Sep 9, 2010
    Certifications: MCITP: EST, MCDST, MCTS, A+, N+, CCNP, CCNA Wireless
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I have not done any Cisco Certifications, however from experience I never rely on one bought resource for any exam. Two for more, is what I use.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: PGDip Cyber Security
  3. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Get the second one fella!

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  4. Simonvm

Simonvm Kilobyte Poster

Seems to be a no-brainer then :) Will do, thanks!

Any other books recommended as a second source?

Last edited: Sep 9, 2010
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Point of clarification: it does NOT have Boson's simulator in it. It has practice exam questions that are written by Cisco Press's authors. The only thing "Boson" about it is that they use our practice exam engine.

If you bought it in a book, it ain't Boson.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. jonny7_2002

jonny7_2002 Byte Poster

I used the EXAM GUIDE (2nd book) and it rocked! :)

After my CCNA I then bought the study guide for the CCNA:Security and it sucked so went and bought the Exam guide hearing better reviews. I then realised that it was the subject (Security) that sucked!!! lol

I compared the 2 books and the exam guide was alot better laid out! The study guide seemed to have alot of spiel in there that wasnt necesary; not to me or the exam anyway although some people may want to know that stuff though!?

I now have my CCNP books and they are all the EXAM GUIDE ones! ;)

Hope this helps.
    Jon

Certifications: CCNA R&S, CCNP R&S, CCDA, CCNA Voice, CCNA Wireless & CCNA Security
    WIP: CCIE V5 (when its out)
  7. Simonvm

Simonvm Kilobyte Poster

It does, thanks!