1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ICND1 a few weeks away

Discussion in 'Routing & Switching' started by TommyTee, Feb 12, 2010.

1. TommyTee

TommyTee Byte Poster

Hi everyone, lurked for a about a month but thought i'd now sign up and pester you all :)

I got my incd1 at the start of next month. I've been using a mix of the Wendell Icnd1 book, TrainSignal (thanks mr byrant, good stuff), boson for labs, http://www.subnettingquestions.com/ and a couple test exams - 6 hours a day at the moment.

I've noticed that in boson there are quite a few things that don't display the same as they did when i was watching the TrainSignal videos, less options etc. Is this common? Is there a better simulator to try?

Anything else I should do? with the exception of the cisco specific stuff I've encountered all the other aspects of the curriculum before at Uni so 12 days into my incd1 studying I'm a little over confident as it kinda feels a little bit more of a refresher, need to be reined in :) Hats off to people that have never been involved with networking getting this cert, great achievement.

Anyone comment if the icnd2 required more time for study/is it harder? I was thinking if I passed the icnd1 booking it a couple weeks after then going onto do maybe ccna:sec and/or ccna:wireless over the summer.

Thanks in advance guys.
  2. TommyTee

TommyTee Byte Poster

No replies, well that's what I get for posting the wrong section :)

Passed the other week, no real advice apart from just learning the material, it was trickier than I expected, hopefully I can stick with the 'one cert' a month thing.
  3. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Congrats on the pass, Tommy. :)
  4. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Congratulations :)
    Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  5. BosonMichael
    Highly Decorated Member Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Congrats! Hope you liked our labs. :)
    Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. TommyTee

TommyTee Byte Poster

They're good labs yes, though I did find in the ccna package I couldn't determine which was icnd1 and 2, now i'm studying for icnd2 I guess that doesn't matter as everything is potentially relevant.

I also used Train Signal videos, and I was very impressed with them (i'm using the icnd2 ones now as well). The tutor chris byrant is more my style over the CBT nuggets guy, I think that it's just a personal preference so i'm not taking anything away from him. I would say that you need a book to accompany the videos to study with, I wouldn't say you could just watch the videos and be able to 'wing' it, I saw them as like going in and listening to lectures only to swot up later.

I can't really rate any other books as I only have the wendell icnd1 and 2 ones, but the book was good, though I kinda felt that there was a lot of stuff in there that wasn't strictly relevant for the exam but was useful knowledge for real world.

I also used http://www.subnettingquestions.com/ and basically did questions on there until I could just do the calculations in my head.

I'm working on icnd2 now and am finding it a little more easy going believe it or not, I think it's because the icnd1 just had quite a few fundamentals that i've forgot or took a little while to get my head round like subnetting (quickly) and the journeys of frames and packets.

(could a mod move this thread to the general section as I wanted to keep this thread throughout the incd1 and 2 process)
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2010