ICMP

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by derkit, Nov 21, 2007.

1. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

urghhhh... what?

Looking at Windows Firewall and it makes reference to ICMP Exceptions. Reading through the MS press book I get a vague jist of what its about but to be honest look at it rather blankly.... WTF?!?

The best I've managed to gather together is that ICMP is a error message delivery thing... - am I barking up the right tree, or am I in the completely wrong forest??

Help?!
    :oops:

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

This link should help mate, its basically ping

http://www.tech-faq.com/icmp.shtml

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

I understood that it is used for ping and tracert - and I think I was in the right forest for understanding what it does - that page did help. cheers!

I just found trying to understand the ICMP Exceptions section a little confusing, maybe a nights' sleep on it will make it settle in my head a little more :)

4. BrotherBill

BrotherBill Byte Poster

5. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

cheers Bill. I read that page before posting and most of it seemed slightly above my head.

I suppose for this exam I don't really need to understand ICMP completely, just what it is and where it fits in - I felt the wiki page was above my level a little :)

Will revisit it no doubt during the N+

6. BrotherBill

BrotherBill Byte Poster

7. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I prefer to read the RFCs.. check this one written in 1981 :)

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc0792.txt

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  8. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Generally the source of the ICMP traffic is used for exceptions. For example if you tried to ping the WAN port of a firewall from the internet it should not give a reply. However if you were using a PC on the LAN and pinged another PC on the LAN then it should reply as the ICMP traffic is all LAN based.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  9. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

And now I'm with it - see, a little bit of sleep really did help :D
    Thanks for the help guys.