IBM 'advises' staff to opt for a Microsoft Office-free world

Discussion in 'News' started by Kitkatninja, Jun 16, 2008.

1. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

IBM 'advises' staff to opt for a Microsoft Office-free world

Big Blue’s 20,000-strong techies have been advised to ditch Microsoft Office and use open standards software such as Lotus Symphony instead.

IBM chief information officer Mark Hennessey and veep Gina Poole issued a memo yesterday urging the firm’s staff to take “a new, more integrated approach to desktop productivity software", reports the Irish Times.

The memo doesn’t explicitly mention Office but it does subtly put the boot into rival Microsoft by noting that Symphony’s use of Open Document Format (ODF) "makes digital information independent from the program in which it was created… allowing information to be used in new, innovative ways".

To read the whole article, click here.

You'd understand them apart from the fact that Office 2k7 sp2 will support ODF, see here.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
porta2_tags:

Comments

1. ffreeloader
      ffreeloader
      How much you want to bet it's not just another embrace, extend, extinguish move on MS's part? They have never yet accepted a standard and not added enough to it that their products wouldn't work seamlessly with the rest of the world's products that used the same standard. If they do, it will be a first.
    2. NightWalker
      NightWalker
      Just save stuff in .rtf, everything works with .rtf :)
    3. Kitkatninja
      Kitkatninja
      I'll do one better: Just save stuff in text format (.txt), now that's something that everything can work with. :lol:

-Ken
    4. nugget
      nugget
      It's quite funny that IBM are having to advise their own staff to use their own (IBM) software rather than MS Office!
    5. sunn
      sunn
      I thought that was interesting too. I wonder which genius came up with the notion that staff should use company created software as opposed to the competitors. :blink
    6. ffreeloader
      ffreeloader
      Did anyone read the comments to that article? It seems as if several IBM employees have commented there and not a one of them have seen the memo that this article says exists. Furthermore several of those IBM employees who have commented say they run Linux at work, not Windows. It seems as if IBM supports multiple Linux distros in the corporate workplace, at least according to some of the comments left by some of the people who say they work for IBM.

It looks to me as if the story is a fake as almost all of the IBM employees say the 20,000 number is waaaay too low.
    7. The_Geek
      The_Geek
      I have to agree with Freddy (again). The company I work for has just over 53,000 employees, and I feel we are smaller than IBM and M$.
    8. neutralhills
      neutralhills
      I can see why people would gravitate towards O2K7 -- the new Ribbon interface is just damned slick. The new UI is so well organized that it has really increased my productivity when writing. It's so good that I'm wondering exactly who MS "borrowed" it from. This is probably the first worthwhile upgrade to Office since 2000, methinks (at least for those who don't care about Sharepoint). Here's hoping that OOo can "borrow" heavily from MS' efforts here.
    9. BosonMichael
      BosonMichael
      It's slowed me down quite a bit... but I think I'll get used to it, and ultimately, be better off for it.
    10. Sparky
      Sparky
      I do like Office 2007 and the customers I support like it as well. They ask me for prices to upgrade etc. so it’s easy money! :twisted:

Going back to the OP (if it’s true) why should we listen to IBM when they produce applications like Lotus Notes. :rolleyes:

I used to work for IBM a few years back, all PCs on Windows 2000 and using Office 2000. :biggrin