I want to self study comptia a+ , need advice please gents.

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by mikeypizZy0, Feb 2, 2012.

1. mikeypizZy0

mikeypizZy0 New Member

Basically i've been strung along by a learning provider pretending to be offering an 'IT apprenticeship'. So after reading these forums it seems the best way to go about getting some certs would be to self study.

So..... Can you guys give me some advice on what kind of books/materials i will need to buy to complete the comptia a+ examination. I'm completely new to this and i really need someone to give me an in depth run down of what to buy etc.

Thanks in advance, Michael.

2. Les1977

Les1977 Bit Poster

First check out the Professor Messer certification videos. They are completely free, and can be watched here:

Professor Messer, CompTIA A+, Network+, Security+, Microsoft Certification Training

The videos are a great resource, and will prime you well for studying from books.

For books, I just used the Mike Meyers CompTIA all in one guide. The latest version is here:

Comptia A+ Certification All-in-One Exam Guide: Exams 220-801 & 220-802: Amazon.co.uk: Michael Meyers: 9780071795128: Books

Thats about it. Maybe a couple of old PC's to pull apart if you are new to it.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
    Certifications: CompTIA A+, Network+, Linux+ / LPIC-1
    WIP: 70-680
  3. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

Les has linked you to the 8th edition that isn't out until later this year. Purchase the 7th edition (for 220-701 and 220-702) as that is the current version for the CompTIA A+.

CompTIA will be releasing a new version of the A+ exam, but it won't be until 2013 (probably summer/autumn)

Certifications: BSc Computer Game Technology, A+
    WIP: MOS 2010
  4. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

If the 800 series Meyer's book is available for pre-order, I would expect it to become live sometime this year. If the last change is anything to go by it will be announced soon and the 700 series will probably retire at the end of the year or early in 2013.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  5. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

I stand corrected by Soundian and CompTIA:

http://www.certforums.co.uk/forums/...ications/46648-new-comptia-2012-criteria.html

Even with that knowledge, I'd still take the 701/702 rather than wait until July...

Certifications: BSc Computer Game Technology, A+
    WIP: MOS 2010
  6. Les1977

Les1977 Bit Poster

Oops! Sorry about that!

Certifications: CompTIA A+, Network+, Linux+ / LPIC-1
    WIP: 70-680
  7. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

I have to agree.
    At this point in the year, it's a bit of a no-brainer which one to take. The one with all the study materials available and 13 months to study in.
    I would definitely go for the 701-702, and I'll keep advising that without any caveats until at least the start of the third quarter.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job