I want to do my CCNA

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by CheeseOnToast, Jul 11, 2007.

1. CheeseOnToast

CheeseOnToast Nibble Poster

Hi guys,

I have basically made my mind up that I'm going to do my CCNA.

However, my knowledge isn't great on the in-depths of networking etc, so I'm really looking for some advice on possible e-books I can use to revise myself, and what kind of timescale I would be looking at?

I already work for a large I.T. corp, 4 years on a technical helpdesk as 1st line support/team leader then now as a computer operator. This qualification would enable me to move into the COMMS dept. and then gain my experience while I'm there...

I'm feeling a bit out of my depth after reading the other threads on people wanting to do it on this forum.. but I've made my mind up and I'm determined!

Cheers for any help,

Phil

Certifications: ITIL Foundation
    WIP: CCNA
  2. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Have you considered starting with Network+? It will give you the basic knowledge for networking.

I did it before doing the cisco academy and it helped a lot as I was not starting from the beginning.

Keep in mind that even though CCNA is considered an entry level cert for cisco it is still a hard exam to pass. This is not to discourage you but to help you out, look into Mike Meyers all in one N+ book. If dont really want to do the Network+ cert then at least get the book for a reference when you are studying CCNA.

Good luck with the studies Phil.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  3. CheeseOnToast

Well I have considered it, but more than anything I feel like it would just be a waste of time/momey.

I do understand the (very) basics of TCP and I can do binary and hex conversions.. I know that's a tiny bit of the pie, but I'm hoping to just pick the rest up as I go..

I just want to know how long I should allow really, and how much time within a certain timescale. e.g. to do it in 6 months, I would need 2 3 hour revision sessions a week or whatever..

4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Prof, it's not an entry-level cert for Cisco, and Cisco realizes this. That's why they've developed the CCENT certification: Cisco Certified Entry Network Technician.

Phil, if the CCNA is your first certification, it might be a bit overwhelming. You might want to get your feet wet with Network+ first.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Really? BM I thought it was considered entrey level before but you are correct now that I look at it. Thanks

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  6. CheeseOnToast

Well it's not my entirely first certification, I did partially complete my A+, I did the hardware exam but I missed my OS exam due to problems at home - and my work wouldn't pay to re-take it so I didn't bother (I wasn't bothered about having it really).

I don't know what to do now, I just didn't really want to waste time/money on something I didn't need.

Maybe I'll give it a month of revising for CCNA and see how I fare, you guys can pop quiz me? ;)

7. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Perhaps a month of the N+ but not the CCNA! More like 6 months I would say! I would imagine that Phoenix will be along soon to give you a realistic time frame! IMHO it's a tough bastard of a cert!:blink

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  8. MacAllan

MacAllan Byte Poster

Hi,
    I did CCNA in six months, but I'd done N+ before that. Necessary? Not sure - it depends on how much exposure to network stuff you have in your job. Only you know that. The N+ exam is quite pricey, as well...
    CCNA can be done as two exams - the first is the INTRO exam which is like N+ on steroids. The second, the ICND exam is very different, as it focuses much more on the CLI to cisco routers and switches, and the configuration of routing and switching. I really would not recommend you did the single combined exam with your level of experience. The Cisco Press Exam guides are pretty good, but you'll need access to some switches and routers to play on to get familiar with the CLI. Sims, on the whole, are complete pants. You can do better for routers using a hardware emulator called Dynamips, which is awesome, but there is no equivalent I'm aware of for switches. So, are you thinking of using a training provider? Make sure they have router/switch labs available. Self-study at home on your own? It's hard, and takes real commitment. You can purchase oddments of lab-time that people advertise on the internet, and it might well be worth the investment. Some people actually buy their own routers/switches to set up a home lab. In the US this is better, as the cost on ebay is relatively low. In the UK it will be much more expensive, and for CCNA probably not worth it.
    2x3hr sessions a week, over 6 months? I'd say try that for 3 months for the INTRO, and see how you get on. You might need more than the other 3 for ICND - up to you.

Hopethat help. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP, Linux+
  9. CheeseOnToast

Hi dude, you mis-understood, I meant do a month of revision on the CCNA to see how I am feeling about it, not doing it! lol:biggrin

MacAllan - Thanks for the advice. I don't have a lot of network related work in my role at present, but I work in the same room as the COMMS team.

As far as equipment goes, my mate has a couple of routers I can have to start (1600's I think) and I was going to buy a few of the 29 series on ebay to complement it.

Also, we have a full COMMS rack in work full of the very very top end equipment which I have been told I could be given a login too so I can login and mess about and see whats what with the spare stuff - which will be handy!

As far as training providers go, this is kind of why I have posted.

I could pay to do it via my local college, but the course wont start until September, and exams probably next June? I just felt this was too long, I really really wanted this cert by say end of December, as I currently work on Shifts and am hoping to bridge the difference in pay from days to shifts by hopping into the comms team (who my manager also manages.)

My company is very loyalty based, and they would move me into that team if I had the CCNA to start, even with no experience..

I am willing to fund the college course if neccesary, I just really wanted it to be on a smaller time frame..

:(

10. CheeseOnToast

By the way - is there some kind of online assesment or test I can have a go at in a month or something to see how I'm getting along?

11. MacAllan

MacAllan Byte Poster

If you're using the Cisco Press exam guides, the CD at the back has practice tests on, for the book content, and either the individual exam or the combined exam.

12. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Sorry m8, I completly mis-read your post! Yeah give it a blast and see how you get on with absorbing the info! Plenty of peeps on here to quiz you!

Oh by the way, welcome to CF...I must have missed your intro thread!:biggrin

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  13. BosonMichael

Even though CCNA was on the bottom of Cisco's pyramid, it is by no means an "entry-level" certification. That's like saying that the first lab practical in brain surgery is an entry-level medical student course. 8)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  14. BosonMichael

Keep in mind that you cannot legally use the Cisco IOS on Dynamips.

15. CheeseOnToast

Well you guys have sure confused me :D

I just don't know what to do now really.... :(

Was really feeling rared up for it, but maybe I am just going to end up out of depth.. what to do, what to do....

Can anyone recommend a good ebook for the N+? I might as well take a look..

16. nekky

nekky Bit Poster

I'm sure if you search the board you'll find some good recommendation for books. I Currently use: 'Network+ Study Guide and Practice Exams' by Syngress(publisher), to develop my networking knowledge and find the explanations clear and easy to understand, although I dont plan to take the network+ exams.

Certifications: BSc Computer Science
    WIP: 70-270, 70-290 ...for now
  17. MacAllan

MacAllan Byte Poster

We don't know how well you know networks, so the advice is bound to be hazy.

Have a look at the free N+ stuff from Cram Session (not a brain-dump, just a revision aid), and see how much of it you already know. If you think.. yeh... done that ..yeh... easy-peasy... yep... yep... Then go on to CCNA INTRO. On the other hand if the cramsession stuff gives you a panic attack, you'll know to do N+ first :)

http://www.cramsession.com/certifications/exams/network.asp?exam_id=126

18. BosonMichael

I took a look at the Sybex Network+ book, and it looks to be good.

19. jackson

jackson New Member

I have found a free online CCNA study material for you, it is powered by a university in Taiwan, the material are in both Traditional Chinese and English, please try and see if it is helpful.
    Copyright materials

Attached is the English translation of the Click buttons(I reckon you dont know the chinese in their first page)

P.S. Please be adviced that the last exam day for 640-801 is 6/11/07, after that day, you must have to take 640-802 in order to get CCNA Cert, new topics VoIP,DHCP, DNS, VPN, IPv6, RSTP, Wireless, 及 Route Security will be added.

Admin Edit - The posting of copyright material is totally agains forum rules. Link and attachment removed - AJ

20. BosonMichael

Not sure Cisco wants their Cisco Networking Academy Program available to the general public...