I want to be an IT Technician

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by td501, Apr 23, 2016.

1. td501

td501 New Member

I should study these certificates in this order? CompTIA A+, CompTIA N+ and Microsoft MTA? I will self study for all these certificates. I done my research and having too many certificates can be harmful than beneficial so are these certificates enough to get my first job? I have no work experience, I only have some volunteering experience but that was done during secondary school.

Advice appreciated.

2. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Hi td501 and welcome to CF! This is a question that has been asked many times and from experience certifications can help you get a job in the way that it will get your CV a second look at, but ultimately your knowledge will get you the job, and tbh I didn't get my job solely on the knowledge I had. You have to be customer focussed in IT, It all depends on the hiring company. I would say at this stage it really doesn't matter what certificate you go for as with no experience you are going to have to get by on knowledge and a great deal of personality. To answer your question though go for an MTA, thats all I had when I got my job, having the word "Microsoft" on your CV can do wonders.

3. td501

td501 New Member

Thanks for the welcome. I'm from the UK. Is CompTIA not recognised that much in the UK? About the Microsoft MTA, theres 5 parts to the IT Infrastructure route, which ones shall I take?

*Windows Server Administration Fundamentals
    *Networking Fundamentals
    *Security Fundamentals
    *Mobility and Device Fundamentals
    *Cloud Fundamentals

It says on their website I need to pass one to get the certificate, I thought I would need to pass all?

4. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Start at the bottom and work through them. I would go for the networking part first if I was you.

Also if you get a chance try the voluntary work experience route. It doesnt matter where you ge this exp, it will look good on your CV

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  5. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

We are all from the UK here, and nope CompTIA isnt that recognised here but its still a good cert. You only need to do one exam, out of the list Id go for the mobility and device fundamentals, its an updated version of the old Windows OS fundamentals exam which got retired. I am currently working on the Networking fundamentals.

6. td501

td501 New Member

You mentioned all you had was the MTA, what topic did you choose first? I messaged an microsoft online representative and he said I should study exam 98-349 Windows Operating System Fundamentals, you said its retired but he said it isn't which I found confusing.

7. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

8. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Its funny, as I saw recently on another site that someone took the 98-349, yet its retired so I do not know how they have managed to do this.. from a google search the exam is listed, but not offered by Pearsons.. I don't know too much about certpoint.. I thought you could only schedule with certpoint f you were in formal education. But yes this is the exam I took.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/learning/exam-98-349.aspx