I think I've had the wrong idea about programming LOL

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Juelz, Sep 22, 2013.

1. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Hi all, basically I think I've had a misconception on what programming is.. am I right in thinking software development and web development are elements of programming but the languages are completely different? by this I mean if you wanted to be a software developer you wouldnt have much use for HTML and CSS..?

Maybe someone could help me figure out what it is I need to learn.. I basically want to create interactive websites, and also build apps. what languages would I need to learn? and is this classed as web development?

2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Its possible to have a website with no dynamic content, this is called a 'static site' and comprises mostly of HTML + CSS, there is very little programming involved so you don't need to be a programmer for this.

HTML is called 'mark-up' its not considered code.

In order to develop the multitude of other applications, embedded, client server, system level, database, cloud, web, mobile, etc you need to be a developer, to be a developer you need to be able to program (possibly in multiple languages) and solve problems.

To build interactive sites you will need JavaScript as a minimum as this is what provides most interactive browser content. You will also most likely need a serverside technology, this could be Nodejs, ASP .NET MVC, Ruby on Rails, PHP, Grails, etc for web development.

In order to develop applications (apps) you need a more general purpose langauge that is not targeted soley at the web, this includes Java, C#, C++, Python, Ruby, C, Objective C, Scala, etc.

If you meant 'apps' as in mobile apps, then you will need a mobile friendly language and toolset, this includes Android, Objective C, C#, JavaScript. You may find it easier to start with something like phonegap.

You can be a guru level developer and not do much HTML or CSS, for example you might work on the linux kernel, or other system software. However these days HTML is so prevalent its expected that pretty much every developer can knock up a basic web site.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2013