1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I.T Graduate salaries in the midlands

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by fatp, Dec 22, 2008.

1. fatp

fatp Byte Poster

Hi guys.

After starting this thread (http://www.certforums.co.uk/forums/thread27704.html) a while ago, I recently spoke to my old collegaues from university. I graduated in june 2007 in comp sci. A lot of my old friends, had moved down to the City (London) as they couldnt find work in the east / west midlands. The majority of them were working in entry level support jobs, web development or programming positions. Their pay was about 18 - 22 k in the midlands but had done a placement year before. I am currently on 16k with a years experience after graduation. My question is have I done OK in terms of salary in the midlands? also bearing in mind current economic situation.... should i be looking for more money now and also be willing to relocate and get the hell out of the midlands?

cheers

fatp :dry

Certifications: Comp Sci BSc, NVQ 2 & 3 IT Professional
    WIP: Comptia A+, Network+
  2. wagnerk
    Highly Decorated Member Award

wagnerk aka kitkatninja Moderator

I would say that you're going ok, you could be on more, but heck you could be on less. I can't remember the exact salary I was on when I graduated with my degree, but it was around the £13k mark. You could move around for the better salary, but I would stay put for now until the job market is better.

-Ken

Certifications: CITP, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, PTLLS, MCT, MCITP, MCTS, MCSE, MCSA:M, MCSA, MCDST, MCP, MTA, MCAS, MOS (Master), A+, N+, S+, ACA, VCA, etc... & 2nd Degree Black Belt
    WIP: PGDip
  3. Jiser

Jiser Kilobyte Poster

GCHQ seems a good employer? Have you looked at them?

Certifications: BSc (Hons), PGc, MCTS:Win 7, MCSA W7/MCITP EDST, ITIL Foundation, Prince 2 Foundation, C&G: Web Design, MOS 07: Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Outlook.
  4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

You are doing ok so far mate.

Get a few more years experience and hopefully the wonga will start rolling in. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Exchange 2007\2010
  5. Evilwheato

Evilwheato Kilobyte Poster

I'm pretty sure it's more expensive in London though. A lot of the work is in London, especially for graduates, but location was more important than pay for me.
    16k after a years experience is pretty good, just keep working at it!