I.T 1st line - how to get in.

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by shocksl, Jan 8, 2012.

1. shocksl

shocksl Byte Poster

currently studying for the 70-680 exam to get into First Line Support.

In addition to this I work in a charity shop, helping older people using computers. (thats the only experience i can get)

Is there anything else I can be doing to increase my chances finding a job in 1st line support.

2. 1/4

1/4 Byte Poster

You haven't mentioned what it actually is you are doing in order to get work. Working in a charity shop and doing a cert will not in of itself land you anything.

Let us know what you are currently doing to find work and we can fill in the gaps.

Certifications: A+, N+
    WIP: 70-680
  3. Jiser

Jiser Kilobyte Poster

Create a professional email if you havent got one, sign up to local councils job postings, check out local echo job postings, sign up with local agencys, check out local agencys websites, check reed.co.uk, cwjobs.co.uk, look at local primary and secondary schools for positions etc etc. Get your CV looked at professionally. Post it on this forum. The problem is for every application you put in there is probably going to be another 20 + specially for 1st line. Just don't limit yourself to that specifically as there are other positions like I.T Tech, Hardware tech. Perhaps look at getting a position in customer service if your not allready working to get yourself customer service experiance and the ability to develop rapport with customers.

Helping out old people? I assume you mean teaching OAP's the basics of computing? Every little helps. You can allways make it look and sound better in CV and interview. A little white lie won't hurt anyone.

You should look at doing Comptia A+ N+ though in my experiance alot of people in the U.K. havent a clue what they are and they expire. ITIL V 3 foundation is also something you should look at doing for soft skills and it seems to be a standard request that applicants have it on job adverts. Once you got your foot in the door your good ;) Then its basically biding your time, picking up knowledge, learning and picking the appropriate moment to jump ship (without job hopping to much).

The cert you are doing and what I have listed should set you in the right direction. By all means keep applying for positions if your not allready doing so even if you haven't got the certs you have the desire and enthusiasm to get into IT? Right?

What is your background? Do you have A-Levels? A degree? Where are you in your life right now?

Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
    Certifications: BSc (Hons), PGc, MCTS:Win 7, MCSA W7/MCITP EDST, ITIL Foundation, Prince 2 Foundation, C&G: Web Design, MOS 07: Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Outlook.
    Transformer23 likes this.
  4. jvanassen

jvanassen Kilobyte Poster

Im also looking for 1st line support work and Jiser has hit the nail on the head in regards to your questions.

Good luck!

Certifications: CompTIA A+, Network+, CCENT
    WIP: ICND2 200-101
  5. shocksl

shocksl Byte Poster

thanks soo much Jiser. that was extremely helpful! repped ;)

I am currently working in a call centre as a customer service advisor for a Bank.

as to the charity shop. I know it's not ideal, but it's something I can do for 2 hours a week, where i just help older people use email, internet and things like skype. just basic stuff really.

I have a useless degree in Business studies lol.

6. Transformer23

Transformer23 Bit Poster

I wouldn't say the degree is useless, shows employers you was determined enough to study and work hard for 3 years, thats my opinion any way.

7. 1/4

1/4 Byte Poster

A degree in business studies would I suspect be of more use to a lot of companies in regards to IT than a degree in Comp Sci or games development etc. The only reason why IT pays generally well is because it is mission critical to people's businesses if you can demonstrate a working knowledge of how IT can properly integrate with a business and minimise impact etc then it is certainly a useful degree - stand by it.

Certifications: A+, N+
    WIP: 70-680
  8. andylad9

andylad9 Byte Poster

Totally agree. That's something I've learnt 4 months into my first IT job.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | 70-680 | 70-685 | MTA Server
    WIP: deciding now...