I seen this.......

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by leosdelsol, Jun 22, 2009.

1. leosdelsol

leosdelsol Banned

I seen this on a job website.......

Installation and termination of data cables, CAT5e, CAT6, CAT6a, fibre optic.Installation of associated containment systems, PVC trunking, conduit and cable tray. Experience of terminating face plates and patch panels. Working as part of a team or on your own. Experience of working on Construction sites and a current and valid CSCS card. DRIVING LICENCE ESSENTIAL.

sounds like something i would enjoy tbh i always wanted to be a sparky 8) lol how would i go about getting experience for a role like this? i.e any books or courses i could study up on?

cheers all
    Leo

Certifications: HND Computer networking, 70-271
    WIP: A+
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Well you won't be a Sparky, as they are electricians. However you can go on Cat5/6 cabling courses and fibre optic courses. See here I did a thread about fibre courses, and the link for connectixcablingsystems by UKD also has a copper cabling course.

While it won't give you work experience, it will give you the knowledge :)

As for the CSCS, see here.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

The network+ will give you some basics on how to terminate CAT5 into an RJ45 etc.

Cabling can be tough going, thats why Ive retired from doing it. :biggrin You can end up crawling through a roof dragging a collection of cables that have been tied together and then having to feed them through the smallest hole in the world. :eek:

All good fun though! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. leosdelsol

leosdelsol Banned

a dont think any two dayswould be the same doing that :) and thats what i think im after tbh
    thanks for the links guys as always its much appreciated

Certifications: HND Computer networking, 70-271
    WIP: A+
  5. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Ummm.. Yes they would. If you're talking about cabling, almost EVERY job is the same - involving pulling cables, punching down and patching out. I can't think of a more monotonous job in IT (not that it really 'counts' as IT in any real sense of the world).

I quite like a bit of cabling every now and then - it gives my mind a break from more taxing work - but if I had to do it every week, let alone every day as part of my job? I'd go insane.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  6. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Connectix courses do concentrate on the practical tho'

Me too. Happy to do a straightforward office but not on different levels etc.

Yep, VERY BORING. Get's marginally more interesting if you gte to use a Fluke meter and test and prepare a report but cabling is cabling is cabling ! :p

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  7. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

What Zeb said really. I don't mind the odd bit of patching (we have a couple of IT Suites to do over the summer) but we won't be doing the cable runs, we get our friendly sparks to do that.

Each to their own though, I'm sure some people (insane people) enjoy that kind of job. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  8. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

The upside is if there are some really tasty looking women in the office, when you're checking the cables under the desk, you can take a sneaky peek up the skirt :twisted:

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009