I really need some advice, please please help me :(

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Kurzon, Jul 21, 2010.

1. Kurzon

Kurzon New Member

Hi CF,

Quick background info:

I'm currently a full-time student, I've completed year 1 of my BSc Computers & Electronics foundation degree, and now I can proceed to the 3 year BSc (Hons) Computer Science degree. I also have my CCNA which I got a couple of years ago when I was 17 or 18.

Situation:

I have now applied for well over 20 - 30 1st line support jobs, and still no success! I've only had one positive response from a company called Computacenter but after the interview no one has bothered to contact me and it's been almost a week now :(

My question is this, is the CS degree REALLY worth it? I feel extremely down right now, I think my CV probably sucks or something about me scares them all away :eek:

Would it be better if I went into a trainee/entry-level job such as 1st-line right now and then do my degree later on in life after I pick up experience?

The only experience I have right now is in web development, but this is more of a hobby, I make websites for friends/people/myself etc. (I'm getting very good at coding in XHTML, CSS, PHP and MySQL), I obviously also have a bit of experience in networks due to CCNA - BUT - I have NO real work experience in the real world/working environment!

It seems no matter what I do, no one wants to hire me - why??!

/rant

Last edited: Jul 21, 2010
    Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: BSc Computer Science
  2. ericrollo

ericrollo Megabyte Poster

Im in a similar situation just completed my first year of my HND; having a degree may be pointless but it will help with getting a job.

Certifications: MOS Master, A+, MCP 271
    WIP: HND, Programming, Another Job
  3. gosh1976

gosh1976 Kilobyte Poster

I would say if you can continue in school right now. I'm back in school part time after many many years while working full time. Applying for 20 to 30 jobs without much response is not out of the ordinary right now either in the UK or the US. Just keep sending that CV out.

Did you send a thank you note after the interview? You could send them a thank you note now and perhaps ask if if a decision has been made.

You could post you CV on these forums and just take out the personal info there some guys here that will have some good tips.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCDST, CCENT, MCTS: Win 7 Configuring, CCNA
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF :)

Over 20-30 applications only? It took me 5 years to get into IT. I know others who have taken less time - straight after GCSE's on an apprenticeship, I know other's who have taken longer (10 years) and I've know people who have given up trying to get into IT. So just over 30 applications is nothing...

Only you can answer that really. Personally, I would say get yourself the first job in IT and at the same time do your degree in the evenings at your local Uni/College. It's won't be easy, but you get that bit of paper and the experience - best of both worlds.

TBH, the CCNA really needs the relevant experience to back it up to be really useful. Plus it needs to be renewed every 3 years.

Again personally, I do believe that the degree is worth it. It's better to have the degree and not need it than need it and not have it, especially when it comes to graduate placements/work or when migrating to another country, etc... (you never know what the future holds). Saying that having a degree is not the "be all and end all". You're not suddenly going to be fighting off a multitude of companies offering you jobs. Added to that there are alot of alternative qualifications that are comparable to a degree (NVQ 4 and above, Higher Professional Diploma's - level 6 and above, etc) that are just as good.

Without looking at your CV and cover letter, you may be right. A poorly formattted and worded CV and cover letter can put prospective employers off, you really only have approx 30 secs to make a good impression on paper, after all there's going to be sometimes hundreds of other people going for the same job.

Have you thought about volunteering to build up your experience?

It could be a combination of things, it could be one or more of the above mentioned things, it could be something else, or it could just be that the other candidates were more suited for the job based on the information that they provided.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. Kurzon

Kurzon New Member

Cheers for the reply. I will contact the recruitment agency for an update on that interview.

Where can I post my CV?

6. Kurzon

Kurzon New Member

Hi Ken,

In your experience do you then think that it would be a good idea to consider working along-side a part-time CS degree?

PS. Thanks for your wonderful post!

EDIT: Okay my dad has told me that it also took him roughly 5 years to get into IT and he had no experience, so I just have to keep applying everyday >.< ';sjeg'sajeh!!!!!!!!!!!!@@@@@@@@!11111111111

7. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

That's what I did. I had my C&G's in PC support/Programming (7261), my NVQ in Software Creation, my HNC in Computing and my driving licence before I got my foot in the door, did all of those in the evenings while I worked (a non-IT job). Then when I did get my first job in IT continued my part-time studies to get my degree :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  8. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I am actually working on my degree right now part time. I also have a full time job as a Network Administrator... I got the a network admin after 3 years as desktop support. So right now I have 4 years experience in IT.

When I gradudated from my Computing and network support course, I ended up doing a 2 month stage and then landed a desktop support job right after... I have to admit that I was very fortuante to get a job so quick... My Colleague who also is a Senior Network Admin does have a Computer Science degree and it took him 6 months to get his first job in IT so it all depends on where you're applying, what kind of jobs you're appling to, how the job market in your area is looking, etc.. In IT it's the experience that matters most, not so much the degree or certification... that stuff will help you out later in your career but it won't give you much greater odds over others.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  9. arj7

arj7 Nibble Poster

hey dont give up your studies, I did a BSc and an MSc unfortunately at the moment I am finding a job difficult however for the first 3-4 months of job hunting my CV was awful, I put it up on this site and got feedback from other sources and now I am at least getting call backs which has led to interviews recently.
    Maybe later the fact you got your degree will work on in your favour, at the moment its hard jobs are scarce and experience counts, im going to try and get all the work experience I can at least then you have got stuff to put on your CV.
    Put your CV up and hopefully that will help