I really hate printer problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tripwire45, Nov 10, 2003.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I upgraded a fellow's PC from Windows 2000 to XP Pro and now he prints "gobbletigook". The printer is on a server and I made sure the server had print drivers compatible with XP. Another XP machine in the same office prints to the same printer just fine. It had been previously upgraded (before my time). This machine and the other one in that office I upgraded can't print worth squat. Images seem fine, but everything else is a mess. A tech in the office said to download the latest drivers and install them on his local machine. Didn't make much sense to me since it's a network printer but what the heck. I did it and it made no difference. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the printer on the local machine...no effect. This guy needs to print documents and building permits and such. I can't figure out why this is happening. All the drivers have to reside on the print server and if those drivers were inconsistant with XP, then I'd expect all XP machines not to be able to print.

There must be some difference between the two I upgraded and the others (which means I screwed up somewhere). I installed SP1 for XP on both machines. I can't figure this one out. The folks in this office are out now (they work outside most of the day) but will be back periodically. I'd really love to find the solution here. Tried the internet and MS support but nothing seems to work.

The printer is a Kyocera FS-3700. A legacy device. I found the drivers on the company's site. I dont' want to download them onto the server since other people are printing from it fine. If I screw up the server, everybody might lose the ability to print and I'm feeling like an "ax murderer" as it is right now. Help. :oops:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  2. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Only thing I can thing at present is that the drivers may be for mita model of the printer. We have Kyocera printers and I've installed the wrong drivers before and got the same effects. The confusing thing is there are Kyocera and Kyocera mita drivers for both model numbers on alot of thier printers.

HTH,
    Si
    :D

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

That may be it. I noticed that when I searched for the drivers, the word "mita" was added, but I didn't think much of it. I'll have to go back and see if I can fine tune my search. Maybe I'm not going crazy after all...oh well...it was a nice thought. :lol:

EDIT: Unfortunately, I can't find any other driver for a Kyocera FS-3700. When I do the search, it comes up with Kyocera Mita. There are actually two versions. One version downloads and installs no problem. The other one downloads but, when you go to "create" the printer, it says it can't find the drivers in the .ini file and you either have to provide them (what the heck did I just download?) or cancel. I blew away the drivers I'd downloaded and started from scratch. No dice.

4. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Just been looking at the Kyocera site - apart from the 3700 and 3700+ variables in the drivers, whats the deal with the "Driver Type" option, ie KX or Mini ?

Obviously there's no use me taking it any further (although, thats the easiest way I've seen of getting hold of a Mini Driver :oops: )

Just wondered if that might be part of the equation ...?

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Problem (hopefully) solved. There were two versions of drivers for this printer. I downloaded both of them onto a folder on the local machine. Then, I blew away the printer and started from scratch, trying to install it first with one version (which didn't work) then another. When the drivers started downloading onto the print server I figured either it would work or I'd screw everyone up and fortunately it was the former.

I did a test print from the troublesome computer and it came out fine. I printed from an XP computer that had previously been printing ok and it continued to print well. I printed from the other troublesome computer in the office and it printed a test page flawlessly. Seems to work. Now, watch the users come back and try to print and have it mess up. :eek:

Let's hope that doesn't happen. My headache is big enough as it is.

6. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Nice one again, Trip :clap

7. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

Good one mate, you should tell them to get better printers, we use HP at work.....oh and a couple of big canon's

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346
  8. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

9. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

I meant Canon machines not actual canon's and canon balls.

OMG, I'm talking balls again

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346
  10. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

:lol: Looks like they got it back in 1997 and, as long as it still works, they'll probably still use it. I prefer HPs myself (their current administrative structure is another story...their printer division is headquartered right here in River City). And watch where you point that canon...it might go off. :eek: