I Passed Essentials today !!

Discussion in 'A+' started by Phiggles, Mar 2, 2009.

1. Phiggles

Phiggles Bit Poster

Hey all,
    Would like to thank peops for help and advice through the forum and other peoples posts that helped me succesfully pass A+ Essentials.

I got a score of 821 :D, so betweed the 100-900 scale im pretty chuffed with myself. this was my 1st exam since college city and guilds electronics 11 years ago and was still urrrrrrrr scared today!!

My exam took me on a journy of about 200mile round trip from Norwich to Basildon (run out for the car), all the test centers appeared to be about 80 odd mile away.
    I went to Itec in Basildon or pretty danm close to, nice facility, kitchen with drinks, microwaves and all that, along with friendly staff to.

Im not sure which f the 3 eams to take next is there any way of picking the best 1 for me??

Thanks again

Phil

Certifications: A+
    WIP: 70-270
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Well done on the pass:)

Most people take the IT Tech exam 220-602 as their next exam. So I would say do that one.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Phiggles

Phiggles Bit Poster

602...... I will investigate further, im guessing it cant be to much harder as you have to read the whole book (meyers 6th ed) to cover the essentials, now im guessing it will be just concentrate more on the finer details in a few particular field as such.

4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

congrats mate 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

read the whole book for all exams, some people say the IT tech exam is harder as it is (you guessed it) more technical. I actually found it much easier, I managed to ace it where as when I did the essentials I just barely passed. I can't stand ambiguous questions.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. Metalstar

Metalstar Kilobyte Poster

I think everyone will have a different take on it. I found 602's questions to be harder but I actually did better on it than on the 601.

WIP: Network+
  7. tbone152

tbone152 Nibble Poster

Well done.

T

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST
  8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Congrats!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. StormTHX

StormTHX Byte Poster

Congrats!:rocks

Certifications: MCDST, MCP (210), A+, ITIL Foundations
    WIP: Taking a break then onto MCSE
  10. Phiggles

Phiggles Bit Poster

I think like has been suggested to do 602 next. In Meyers AIO recommends to avoid 603 unless employer asks for it.
    Will get a few practice exams done on 602 and see how i get on.
    I thought durin my 601 exam i felt like it wasnt going that well but turned out with a pretty high score, hopefully carry that onto the next exam.

11. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Congrats:), sure does feel good.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  12. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Major congrats:thumbleft
    :morebeer

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  13. Phiggles

Phiggles Bit Poster

Ive done some mocks on both 602 and 604. On the 602's im hitting around 85% but 604 into the 90's :) !

Should i just go for 604 as i can hit high scores but also covers most of the things 602 does but less communication and O/S but still contains some to install and troubleshoot drivers and the like.

Thanks all for congratulations, much appreciated, i want to nail this qualification within the month. Give me a few more opportunities than i would of had in the job market.

Phil

14. Metalstar

Metalstar Kilobyte Poster

I'd say go for the one most relevant to what you wish to use it for - regardless of how well you can score. Try to look at the exam as proof you can do the job and use the knowledge, not just to show you can pass exams.

With 85% on the 602 I would say you have nothing to worry about!

Congrats - and good luck with whatever you do next :D

WIP: Network+
  15. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

Go for the 602. The 604 doesn't cover networks, OS or professionalism so it maybe won't give you as much opportunities as the 602.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  16. del_port

del_port Byte Poster

I would say it depends on your network skills,if you are weak in networking the 604 will suit you best,that is the exam i'm doing in the next fortnight.

Basically i can fix pcs,but i'm not strong in networking so 604 suits me best.

Certifications: A+ and MCDST 70-271
    WIP: mcdst 272
  17. Phiggles

Phiggles Bit Poster

Are you wanting to or going to go into networks further down the line?

Good luck for your exam, im going to book mine for week and half time, travel to Essex again.

18. del_port

del_port Byte Poster

No,ideally i want to stay away from networking,or do the basic stuff,set up a basic network,wireless connections etc..,i can repair pcs,that is primarily what i want to do,the 604 is the right exam for me.

Self employment looks the only route forward because of the lack of network skills.I just don't find networking a very interesting subject,i like repairing pcs.

Yes i used to live in essex,it's a long trip for an exam.

I'd check the bookings just now, there may be nothing available for a while,i am having to wait for a fortnight for my exam,i thought i'd be okay taking it next week but there was nothing available so i have to wait.

19. Phiggles

Phiggles Bit Poster

Where do you live now? Ive just seen where you live - not paying attention. Its a (near enough) 200mile round trip for me to Basildon but all the other centers are pretty much the same distance from me, excuse for a day out to, lol.

Where are you taking your exam? Ive just booked mine at Itec (Basildon), they seem to have most times available even a few days in advance, nice place to as they train people there as well as exams.

Phil

20. del_port

del_port Byte Poster

I used to live in Barking.Essex
    I've only been to basildon once
    Erasure + pyschic tv played a free open air concert there,it was around the time erasure had their first chart hit.I think the communards may have played too.

I'm taking my exam at a local test centre.