I never know what to put!

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Balian, Dec 20, 2005.

1. Balian

Balian Bit Poster

Hey guys and gals,

New to the site, and recently trying to (desparate to) get back into IT. Spent a couple of years in my early 20s working in IT, then made the cataclysmic error of spending a few years in the RN.

Now in my late 20's, wanting to emigrate to NZ, and HAVE to get a job there in IT, hence my decision to requalify in an up-to-date IT course, and opted to do an MCP course for now, with Advent Computer Training. Have been doing the course for the last 6 weeks or so, and so far so good. I also have an HND in IT, but it's several years (7!) old.

Look forward to chatting with ya'll, any advice from you, could potentially be life changing. :biggrin 8)

Certifications: HND IT, A+
    WIP: MCP 2003 Server, XP Professional
  2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hi and welcome to CF. This is the best place for all things IT and certs.

I am sure you can pick up where you left off. Best of luck :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Hi Balian, welcome to CF. If you want tips on studying and support in a friendly way, then you have come to the right place.

Why do say about IT and NZ, are they short on IT Pro's or something? I did here a few months back that they were after Primary School teachers and were encouraging them to emigrate etc...

I quite like the idea of moving to NZ myself sometime in the distant future. They have Elves and Hobbits and all kinds of cool things there! :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  4. trislloyd

trislloyd Nibble Poster

Hi Balian, welcome. You have definately come to the right place. These guys are genuinly helpful and normally come up with the solution to many problems (not seen them fail yet!)

Good luck with the whole emigration thing, i toyed with the idea of emigrating to NZ, may still do it in a few years! Well, i can dream can't i?

Certifications: Comptia A+, Comptia Network+, MCP
    WIP: MCSE, specializing in Cisco
  5. Balian

Balian Bit Poster

Lol, yes they do... In abbundance.

I'm hoping to join up with the rest of my family, and as a result need a job offer over there. Also want to take my young family to a place I believe has a higher standard of living. South Island New Zealand, or Wolverhampton??? Hmmmm.... Toughie. :biggrin

They are short on IT pro's, also on teachers, both primary and secondary, although I believe it's mainly secondary, but it really depends as to which area you'd want to go to. Awe inspiring place... 8)

Ta for the welcome guys.

6. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Greetings, Balian. Welcome to CertForums. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  7. Balian

Balian Bit Poster

Pleasure to be here mate. May our post counts rocket, and money line our pocket. I'm a poet.... and I didn't even know it :oops:

8. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi and welcome to the forum. :D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  9. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Hello there.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  10. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Welcome from me too, Balian. Good luck on your plans to move out there. I don't think you mentioned quite which areas of IT interest you most, or what field you feel like moving towards (network, design, hardware, etc ? ) Give us a start and we'll prob start pelting you with opinions and advice. The usual response to an initial request like this is to steer you A+ and Network+ -wards. Take a peek on those specific boards and see how those sound.

In the meantime - enjoy :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  11. Balian

Balian Bit Poster

Thanks again mate, I "think", it would be networking, for now. In all honesty, it's such a huge field, that I'm not 100% certain at the moment, but so long as it leads to a job in IT in or around the Christchurch area of NZ, I'm sweet... As they say. 8)

12. trislloyd

trislloyd Nibble Poster

That's the problem - the term I.T is such a generalisation! It covers everything computer related. All i'd say is once you have started getting your teeth into it again you will get a feel for which direction you want to go with it! Me, i do loads of everything - maintenance, networking, programming, web design e.t.c. I have to as there is only me and the other I.T guy at my company. I's good fun really as you are doing something different every day, keeps it interesting!

Good Luck!

Certifications: Comptia A+, Comptia Network+, MCP
    WIP: MCSE, specializing in Cisco
  13. Balian

Balian Bit Poster

Yeah, I hear ya! :biggrin I'm trying to improve my general skillset by improving my HTML skills etc. Working on putting my CV on-line on a freebie webhost, and referring potential employers to it. Apparently it's supposed to impress? I expect it shows that I'm not a one trick pony, although the reality is that at the moment, I'm not really an any trick pony!! :rolleyes:

The problem I have is that it's such a huge field, and I'm not always the most patient man, there are so many things I want to know, YESTERDAY! Partly to make me more employable, but also for general use. I reckon a list of abbreviations and common IT terms/usage on here would be a good idea for the newbs? Unless of course... There already is one? Haven't had the chance to check out the whole site yet... :oops:

Bloody glad to be here though, finally found a site that can help.

14. Veteran's son

Veteran's son Megabyte Poster

Welcome to the forums! :)

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+
  15. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I think your first priority would be to narrow in on one particular field of IT if you can eg Helpdesk support, frontline support, Web design, programming etc...

Only then can you really start to decide what study / cert route might be best for you. It may be that an academic IT qualification may be your first bet, as it would give you a taster of a wide range of computing and IT topics. Or possibly look into the availability of gov funded stuff like Learndirect. I don't think their IT courses are that great, but they are cheap, and depending on personal circumstances can also be free.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  16. SamuelClyde

SamuelClyde Nibble Poster

Welcome to the Forum!

WIP: GCSE's / Network +
  17. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Oh dear another Kiwi wannabe :blink

So what's wrong with Oz then :rolleyes:

Make sure that any certifications that you are thinking of taking are recognised in NZ. Not all IT certs are globally recognised. For example my electronics certs from City and Guilds are not recognised here (five years worth).

I believe Microsoft, CompTIA and Cisco are but just do your homework beforehand.

Welcome to the forum 8)

Edit: PS just remembered that PC hardware is very expensive in NZ, buy what you want before leaving the UK!

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  18. Balian

Balian Bit Poster

Just about my entire family lives there, that's one of the main reasons, that and the fact that Oz holds no interest for me, except to visit on holiday. :biggrin

I'm doing an MCP course, which I hope would be accepted, and have been informed by both the provider of the training course that it is, and also by a lecturer at the local uni that they're internationally recognised courses.

It's just about a better standard of living, that's the main reason for getting out of the UK.

19. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I totally understand and agree mate, you can't go wrong IMHO.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  20. Balian

Balian Bit Poster

Yep,

I've been a couple of times for a total of approx 2 months, and I'm gobsmacked by the place. Kiwi's are in the main, and in my experience, very, very, very chilled out people. Almost horizontal. Less consumer driven, more wide open spaces, outdoors lifestyle, awe inspiring landscapes, it's either that, or the "West Midlands".... *Shudders...*