I need help on this topology

Discussion in 'Routing & Switching' started by kobem, Mar 27, 2011.

1. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

here is the topology : http://rapidshare.com/files/454632175/Orn.pkt

I created a topology which is linked above, on Packet Tracer 5.1 on my own. Topology contains RIPv2 routing protocol with discontiguous structure. Including on one end 172.16.20.0/24 network and the other 172.16.30.0/24 without distinct VLANs.

Succeeds : Except pinging from or to switches, even telnet connection is working. (From every host to other
    part of the network(s))

Fails : What im trying to do is pinging and telnetting into each switch, however, it has not been successful yet. i configured vlan 1 over each switch and assigned IP addresses to them by attaching them to PCs on vlan1
    can not find where i fail.

Certifications: CCNA
  2. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

You haven't set a default gateway on the switch's, so you can only access from devices on the same subnet, since the switch's cannot return traffic to devices outside their subnet.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2011
    Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  3. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

Thank you mate, you should be right. For remote network traffic, we need a gateway on switches. ( i approved for your
    reputation)

4. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

If you don't mind me pointing out, that's a real network fundamental. You didn't cover something so basic on the CCNA?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Shhhhh! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

Whats your problem? Isn't it possible to forget config. default-gateway on switches while in chaos? :blink

7. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

It would be like forgetting to breathe ...

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
  8. gosh1976

gosh1976 Kilobyte Poster

indeed I thought: maybe the guy just forgot to set the default gateway and I thought about suggesting a check list for basic switch and router configs... but then I read this response made elsewhere:
    Kobem good for you for practicing and learning. I suppose if you keep at it you will eventually & accidentally learn the basics. You said you bought a Net+ book and I would recommend continuing to go over it. It may seem too basic and like it is rehashing some of the same old stuff but believe me it will help. I have a job in the industry and I still go over some of the stuff from certs I already have and occasionally even watch parts of some of Professor messer's videos. you might think about watching some of his videos. Both the A+ and the Net+.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCDST, CCENT, MCTS: Win 7 Configuring, CCNA
  9. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

It is an easy thing to forget to configure. I'd suggest reviewing troubleshooting areas of the CCNA, as with those skills you would have been able to work the problem out.

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  10. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Yes, those video's are good actually, quite a useful free resource.

It's nice you could put it like that mate, but I don't think it is necessarily going to help him. It's a bit like someone who just passed the A+ struggling with a tough hardware issue that they can't crack, then being told ... ah you didn't plug the power cable in. Easy one to forget! :)

But since 'tough love' is officially disapproved of were this guy is concerned, I'd better shut my gob. :)

Last edited: Mar 28, 2011
  11. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Its great that kobem is still studying, but he has an MSc in networking and a CCNA, that would kind of indicate that he has already been studying networking for 2-3 years at least...

When I see some of kobems posts I can't help but think of some of the X-factor contestants...

Last edited: Mar 28, 2011