I love my laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by flex22, Oct 20, 2004.

1. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

NOT:!::!::!:
    My trusty laptop died the other day.I tried powering it up, but nada, nowt, nawwthing.

I got to an error screen a couple of days ago, but as it responded to nothing, and seemed frozen, I powered down.
    Since then when I've powered up again I just got a black screen, nada again.

Just powered it up now and I've got the error text again.

It gives details on my system:
    Pheonix BIOS
    CPU - Intel
    System Ram
    blah blah blah

It says at the bottom:
    ERROR
    0271: Check date and time settings
    ERROR
    0251: System CMOS checksum bad - Default configuration used

Press F1 to resume, F2 to Setup

Now when I hit F1 or F2, there's no response at all.I think the keyboard isn't working.I see 'mouse initialized' in the text above, but there's nothing about keyboard.

How do I fix this?
    Should I use my PC keyboard, by plugging it into the laptop and powering up again?
    I'll try that now, but in meantime plz advice
    :x

Edit: My PC's keyboard uses PS-2, which my laptop doesn't have :x

2. christof

christof Nibble Poster

I'm possible thinking the CMOS battery might be dead or damaged.

That's just my humble opinion. May be some body who isn't still studying for A+, i.e. ME!, will come along and correct me.

I came to this conclusion by the error message :-

Lets see what any body else offers.

Certifications: certificate of life!!!
    WIP: A+
  3. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Sounds like the signs are pointing in that direction for sure, Christof

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  4. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

yeah try replacing the cmos battery
    some laptops have a quick access panel for it

it would likely explain the checksum error too
    as the saved cmos data will of been lost when the battery died

however it should still boot
    and it shouldnt cause any keyboard errors
    perhaps you have more problems :/

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  5. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Not sure if it is the battery.Seems more like an internal component is deranged.

I keep trying the power on button, but most times I ehar the fan starting up, and the CD-ROM indicator flashes, but there's just a blank screen.

A couple of times it's reached the OS options screen.
    In the 'countdown till default option is selected' the countdown reaches say 29 secs from 30 but then freezes.It's a no go from there, so i have to power down.

Yesterday the countdown didn't freeze, so I let it run down and the machine booted into XP.
    Brilliant, for a time.

About two minutes after being in Windows the screen froze, nothing was responsive: keyboard, mice, nada, nothing worked.I left the laptop on for 20 mins in the hope it would become responsive but in the end I had to just power down again.

6. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

We had a bad checksum error on a machine at work the other day, I replaced the battery and still got the error message, I went away and downloaded a BIOS upgrade from Dell, when ran it created a bootable floppy to flash the BIOS, went to the machine carried out the upgrade/flash and everything is super fine now.

See if there is a BIOS upgrade gor your machine.

Hope this helps

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346
  7. Cartman

Cartman Byte Poster

Not sure whats trusty about it, it screws up every other week, dont it? Think its a 'female' laptop if you know what I mean!

8. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

My god if you haven't worked out how sarcastic I am by now Cartman, I can't think what to do lol:!:
    But thanks for the advice.I'll buy my next PC from a nun at a car boot sale, sure in the knowledge it won't screw with me, and that instead of a mere 1 year warranty, it'll be blessed for a lifetime by the allmighty.
    Will look into this tomorrow.Thanks:!:

9. Cartman

Cartman Byte Poster

Ahh, a divine laptop. Maybe you could then install the Yahweh program and answer prayers (you'll understand that if you've seen Bruce Almighty).

And of course I know how sarky you are mate, it's what makes you you![​IMG]