I lack...

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by rax, Aug 25, 2007.

1. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

I've been reading these CV posts and I just can't help think I have nothing to really put down.

My only experience with PC's is from my own use i.e. Building, repairing, overclocking, maintaining etc.

I only have GCSE level grades from school and I've worked in a supermarket for the last 5 years. The roles within that job have been; shelf filling, administration (price changes, promotion point of sale changing, some basic price/promotion change reports - nothing IT related) and checkout operating.

So say for example I wish to apply for a 1st Line Support job, with or without A+ certs, I can't really see what I have to offer over other applicants.

I know being negative isn't the way to be but having read some of the example CV's, on here and on the web and looking at some of the requirements for entry level jobs, I just don't see what I have to offer. :rolleyes:

Certifications: ITIL v3 Foundation, CompTIA Network+
  2. Spilly

Spilly Kilobyte Poster

1. Customer service skills?
    2. Dealing the general public?
    3.Ability to get a job done?
    4. Enthusiasm for I.T.?

Think of some parallels you can apply from your current job like trouble shooting, keyboard skills etc.

Don't foget general key words that must be in your CV like good time keeping, good attendance record, relibilty, hardworking, enthuisiastic, self study, determination etc.

Certifications: A+,N+,S+,MCP,MCDST,MCITP,MCTS,MCSA,CISMP,PCI-P,SSCP
    WIP: CCSK
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Customer service skills are important for any helpdesk\first line support job.

Get the A+ done and add it to your CV as soon as you can. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. hippy

hippy Kilobyte Poster

It shows you are committed to a job/company which is a very good thing. Who wants to hire a 6 month hopper?

References for start IT jobs are used for, did he turn up to work? Was he late alot? Did he punch a customer on the jaw? etc...

If you have trouble finding a job, start to mostly apply to roles with the words 'helpdesk' instead of '1st line support'?

Just going on what im doing, my job title is 1st Line Support etc... but i do rather alot of server work and it looks like they want me to redesign their AD structure and make yummy GPOs. Does that sound like 1st Line Support? Basically make sure to read between the lines on the job spec :D

5. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

you can get help desk jobs for an ISP with having no experience, no qualificatins and no interest in IT but you'll gain some experience to proceed to you next job.

grim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640
  6. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

Thanks for the replies guys

I'll keep my head up from now on..

It just felt like I had nothing to offer IT companies but now I see your points of view it has lifted my spirits a fair bit.

Back to the A+ book :p

7. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Chin up DaveMid!
    I was in exactly the same boat as you 7 years ago. I'd worked in a supermarket for 13 years and had the same sort of PC experience, i.e. buliding, maintaining, repairing & overclocking etc. But I gained my A+, N+ and MCP and landed a support job with no previous IT job experience. So it is possible, you just need to believe in yourself and sell yourself on the day!

HTH
    NB:)

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  8. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

Ahh excellent!

I'm glad to see it really is do-able from my EXACT position!

So what are you doing now? Still in the first job or have you moved on to higher things? Been promoted?

I'm very interested so feel free to spill all the details if you want :D

I saw a job advertised today for 1st line tech support, it wasn't asking for much in the ways or experience or certs and I would have liked to apply but I don't have a CV right now - Best get this sorted out :S

D

9. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Dave,

Stop thinking negatively. I used to do it all time, no wonder I never got to where I wanted to be, now I'm attempting to make up for lost time.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  10. Notes_Bloke

Hi Dave,
    Yes still with the same company.
    I started with them as tech support on 10k, looking after 60 users; 30 laptops & 30 desktops et al. I was then given the task of Lotus Domino Admin and general domain server stuff. I was then tasked with migrating the entire company from lotus over to a Exchange/Outlook system (best thing we ever did). More recently I've had website and .Net training, and I'm moving into a more web design/programming orientated job role. But because this is a small company I'm still doing the tech support stuff as well. With the increase in tasks thankfully they also increased my wages.
    My advice for getting onto the IT career ladder is don't set your sights too high regarding the initial pay scale. If you prove yourself in the job then they'll want to keep you and thus increase the pay.

HTH

11. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

Nice one NB.

I'm not looking to set my sights high at all, my current job pays really crap and my hours are never the same week to week. I can barely get full time hours and the wage per hour is low - so 10k for e.g would suit me just fine, as would set hours! :p

It's very reassuring to see people like you who, like me, started out in a pretty low and difficult position and yet still managing to get 'out of the gutter' you could say.

Wizard,

I don't normally let my head drop, I know I can achieve good results in whatever I do but it was just when I was looking at the CV examples, I got a little bit 'concerned' about what I may and may not have to offer companies in ways of experience, qualifications (A+ is where I would need to try and get my foot in the door for future jobs that require the MCSE Cert, which I hope to get) as I don't have anything that can compare to degrees, etc.

Now that I've had some positive feedback from the members here, I see that it isn't JUST experience that counts; time keeping, commitment to a work place, reliability and even small things like touch typing skills count too.

Thanks guys, the positive comments have helped me get my chin up and eyes fixed on where I want to be.

No doubt it'll be a long haul before I'm there, though I feel a lot more comfortable knowing you will all be there to lend a helping hand and one day, I hope I can be that someone giving the 'helping hand' to the people starting out.

Dave

12. Notes_Bloke

Good on yer Dave!
    The 10k I spoke about was back in 2001,so the minimum rate should be more now.:) Regarding CV's, when I did mine, I like you had no commercial experience, but I emphasised on things such as training new people, dealing with customers, placing orders etc. They have nothing to do with IT but they show that you have other qualities that you can bring to the job. I also made a strong point of the self-funded training i had undertaken and fortunately my current employer thought this showed strength of character.

HTH

13. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Yep. If your CV is good enough to get you an interview, a pleasant, positive attitude can make all the difference in the world. Put yourself in the interviewers shoes... seeing the same old CVs, applicant after applicant... and interviewing the same sort of people, applicant after applicant... no real world experience, nervous, pessimistic about their chances, trying too hard to impress...

...that's why the A+ can help make your CV stand out a bit. And if you go into the interview being confident about your abilities, being pleasant and positive in your replies, and answering the questions honestly, then you'll do nothing but improve your chances. :)

You *do* have a lot to offer an employer with regards to an entry-level IT job... you just have to show them why. ;)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  14. Fanatical

Fanatical Byte Poster

Dave,

I was in a very similar position as you, possibley worse. I hadn't had anything to do with PC's at all since aroun 1996 when I was 16 although I've always ahd a passion about IT I never owned my own system or was able to take apart a rig or anything. i spent 3 years at Uni studying Performing Arts and then have spent the last 4 years working in a dead end Admin job in the NHS.

If you have a passion for a subject then that can count towards an awful lot at the interview stage. You will be able to answer questions thrown at you becuase you have experience. Your doing the A+ which will help sharpen your skills whilst also catching the eye of potential emplyers, make sure they know you self-study becuase it shows that you want to do this yourself and not just as "some job".

Everything you do is a skill like the others have said. Good attendace, sick time and discipline are all key skills that you can emphasise. Remember entry level means just that, you shouldn;t bve expected to have all the certs in the world and have been working in IT all your life.

I now have a 1st line supprt role which is so much more than I could have hoped and I'll be trying to better myself all the time. i've learnt more about how IT works in the last 2 weeks than any book could teach me. you can have all the certs you like but it's being able to put that into practice that counts.

Believe in yourself and your desire to make this first, important step and you'll find that people will be willing to take a chance on you becuase you have convinced them that this is what you really want. it may seem like an uphill struggle but keep persevering and you'll get your rewards.

Certifications: A+, MCDST
    WIP: MCITP: SA
  15. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Hi Dave,

My position was also very similair to yours.

Four years ago, I was a forklift driver. Prior to that, I'd worked for a supermarket. After the forklift driving, I did sales. I landed my IT role pretty quickly, once I 'put myself on the market' so to speak.

If you want to PM me, or MSN me, and chat about your CV, I'd be more than happy to help you out :) just let me know.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  16. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

i've always been in IT since i left uni (had part time and summer non IT jobs) and i've never wanted to do anything else....well apart from being an astronaut was i was a kid :tongue

grim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640
  17. BosonMichael

I truly wish more people would see these words by Fanatical before thinking that getting a bunch of certifications will get them an instant boost in their IT career. Good stuff, F.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  18. BosonMichael

You just wanna get outta work by IMing all day... I know your sort, ya hippie... :twisted:

19. hippy

hippy Kilobyte Poster

:blink

20. BosonMichael

Not you, hippy... :D

...Arro makes me call her that sometimes... and I must obey... otherwise, I get thwacked. :kuli