I know it's not a cert but...

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Rob1234, Dec 14, 2017.

1. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

Really pleased to finally complete my Masters, took three years and was hard work doing it in between work, certs, and family but I really enjoyed it.

Most of the top universities are doing online Masters now and make it easy to fit it in around your life and with them being cheaper then a degree, I would recommend people take a look at them.

Toying with the idea of either a Postdoc, PHD or MBA next!

Certifications: A few.
    AJ and JK2447 like this.
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Congrats mate - good work :)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Welldone !! What was the masters in ?

4. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Kilobyte Poster

Awesome. Well done!

5. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

Huge congratulations @Rob1234. Funny enough I've looked at doing an online masters with Liverpool Uni, purely to fit around my life as I live in Liverpool. What did you do yours in? I'm really interested if you've got time to share what it was like please. Do you do online training, and sit exams in a test center local to you? Or is it like these online proctored exams? I did one recently with the BCS and while it was strange at first, it saved me time and travel so I'll do it again certainly

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  6. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

Thanks all, I did mine in Information Security.

@JK2447 I imagine each university is slightly different but the way mine worked was I had max 7 years to complete 6 modules plus a dissertation (25k words) I did 3 modules year 1, 3 year 2 then final year dissertation.

You are already at an advantage to full time students who have to do it all one year. Each module is different some were based on recordings of lectures but most are text based which you just read through the material, there is online forums which you take part in the teachers set questions at set times a year.
    That is another good thing about online I can do all the lessons right away whereas on campus you need to wait and do it the week the teacher presents it and can not do it again and again whereas I could redo the lesson as many times as I wanted.

Exam wise is same as on campus students you have to attend a formal exam just like uni, high school so little desk, exam invigilators etc. this was a tough bit all exams are hand written! years since I wrote for 2 hours straight get hand cramp, not neat writing etc. so had to spend time writing just to get use to that again, but also good you have to think your answers through before writing them no deleting like on a word processor.

Funny thing was the module I did worst in was the module closest to what I do for a living whereas other modules I did not know well done really good. I think it is because when you do something in real life you answer questions from that prescriptive and not the academic right answer they are looking for I see the same with certs when you need to give the ISC2 answer not the real world answer.

Certifications: A few.
    JK2447 likes this.
  7. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Well done that man :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong