I have set up a wireless.

Discussion in 'Wireless' started by Tecx, Aug 20, 2005.

1. Tecx

Tecx Bit Poster

Hello,
    Could anyone help me ?
    I have set up a wirless set up for my laptop and my wifes laptop in our home, But ever since i have we have been infested with all manner of hijackers, trojan. :x
    Could anyone tell me how i can protect the connection and stop these virusies from getting in.
    I have installed firewalls on both laptops but they still get in.

thank you
    tecx :D

Certifications: CLAIT,ECDL
    WIP: CIW WEBMASTER
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

There are a couple of things that you could do:
    Make sure that your AVP is up to date.
    Do you have any anti spyware programs installed? if so are they up to date?
    What type of wireless router are you using? many of them now come with some kind of firewall built into them have you configured this?
    You have said that you have installed firewalls on both yours and your wife's PC's what type of firewalls are these? and haveyou configured them to only allow specific types of traffic through?

8)

3. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hi,

I'm not sure if you mean you are getting under attack wireless or from the internet.
    If you mean wireless than you need to lock down your network to the maximum your hardware will allow you. Use WEP as a minimum for data encryption and lock the wireless access to the MAC address' of both laptops. If your router has a firewall turn it on.

If you mean you are getting virus' from the net which is more likely as if someone was giving you all those nasties they probably would have locked you out of your own account by now. :ohmy
    You really need an all in one package. I can personally recommend trend micro that can be found here
    If you don't want to spend money then you can get free software. AVG from grisoft and Sygate is a good free firewall that doesn't cause too many problems. :D
    Let us know how you get on.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Not much I can add but just to recap:

Get an antivirus program and make sure the definitions are up to date.

Same for an antispyware program

To protect your wireless connection:

Disable SSID broadcasts
    Set up MAC filtering
    Set up WEP

This won't make your wireless network invulnerable but someone will have to work at it to hack in.

BTW, what type of firewall are you using and how does your wireless network connect to the Internet?

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. Tecx

Tecx Bit Poster

Hi,
    Just a quick thank you, i have now secured my wirless connection.
    Once again thank you for your help. :cheers

Certifications: CLAIT,ECDL
    WIP: CIW WEBMASTER