I have one thing to say..

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Phoenix, Nov 10, 2007.

1. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

And that is
    the iPhone, rox0r j00r b0x0r!

This little piece of kit here, older technology or not (its 2.5g, no 10mp camera, no gps etc), has got to be the most revolutionary phone/comms interface I have ever used, this thing WILL change the mobile communications landscape, for the better, be it directly or by forcing networks, vendors and such to innovate and be more competitive

the fact its one of the first phones to consider the zoom feature of a UI, rather than trying to re render a page on a 320x140 display still astounds me, but heres to innovation *clinks glass*

I'm still getting used to the keyboard, but with services like jott (State side at least, boo hoo) who needs a keyboard any more?

and whilst some of the practices around its launch (network exclusivity, lack of SDK early on, long contract periods, etc) have been frowned upon by some, I'm beginning to realise why it was required at this point in the products life cycle (and indeed this point in Apples journey into the Mobile phone arena), just like a Mac, everything just works, the sims are built into the phone, so thats a hurdle for a multi network set up due to logistics, the changes the networks have had to make were quite substantial as well, in fact O2 never had an edge network before the iPhone became a reality for them
    Trying to get every network provider to manage that would be, well a challenge to say the least, it's hard enough to get them to call each other at a decent price ;)

I can recommend it to any net junky like myself who doesn't care about the 'minutes and text' value on his contract, but the 'mb and data' values :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  2. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Thanks for the feedback on the iphone Phoenix as I have always thought it would be a revolutionary gadget phone and it sure seems like it is:)

I'd wait and see if T-mobile jumps on the bandwagon:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

well I should check that out on safari I guess :$

5. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

I picked up one yesterday, and have to say im as impressed you Pheonix, havent stopped playing with it since.

Going online is just brilliant, and as you said, so easy to use. Lucky for me its unlimited data transfer, cause otherwise i'd be in trouble :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  6. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

So you have a Safari account too? I love their service. I had to suspend it for a long time due to lack of funds, but since I've been working again I restarted with the Safari Library, and it is great.

For anyone wanting to learn in IT I can't think of a better way to spend your training funds than to subscribe to Safari. I'm spending $40 a month for unlimited access to what is probably a few thousand books on everything from A-Z in the technology area, and new books being are added every month.

I use it heavily, and am completely satisfied with it. I can't think of a better way to spend the money I've set aside for training purposes every month. I can study everything from scripting languages, to networking, to managing IT projects, to security, etc.... If you want knowledge rather than certs, it's the best value around in my book.

Sorry to take this so far off topic, but Safari is something I think most people studying, learning, and wanting to get into IT should invest in. There are cheaper plans than what I'm paying for too, so if you read slower, have less of a need for a wide variety of subject matter than I do, one of those might just work very well for you. I had one of the cheaper subscriptions last time myself, and I was really loathe to have to suspend my account when I did. I used it a lot.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  7. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Check out the CF Reviews section for more. :wink:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  8. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Mate I have been going on about my Safari sub for ages (I LOVED it when they released the 'library' tier, I use it FAR more now than I used to due to the one month on shelf rule)
    All I generally get here is complaints about its cost, but like you say, 20 quid a month is about 10% what I spent on drinks this weekend, hardly a massive expense for access to such a MASSIVE resource
    Wish I could find a few greasemonkey scripts or an iphone interface, im sure it could be far more intuitive lol

9. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I can't vouch for the veracity of this guys arguments, but it's still quite funny. :)

Linky

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  10. supag33k

supag33k Kilobyte Poster

Certifications: MCSE (NT4/2000/2003/Messaging), MCDBA
    WIP: CCNA, MCTS SQL, Exchange & Security stuff