I have a new job..

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Juelz, Apr 23, 2015.

1. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

And I dont know how to feel about it. I always thought my next job would be IT related but due to circumstance Ive had to leave my current job and take a new one. Without giving to much away, I will be working in a call centre making outbound calls. Its not ideal but I have to make money to pay the bills. My goal is to get into help desk tbh, I was wondering is there anything I can apply from this job to a help desk job? The new job isnt IT related all I can say is I will be making ALOT of calls talking to ALOT of people.

JK2447 likes this.
  2. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

You have a baby on the way and are doing what you need to for your particular circumstances, don't sweat it mate. You can always get into IT later or in your new company, or you might find you love the new job and want to climb the ladder. Best of luck mate but don't for a minute think I'll be happy if you stop coming on certforums! I expect you to maintain a healthy interest in IT, possibly using some of your new wealth to gain an A+ or similar along the way

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
    Juelz likes this.
  3. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Thanks mate, I wont give up IT, though I will surely have less free time to study :(, but wont give it up!

JK2447 likes this.
  4. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

That's the spirit mate. Settle into your new job then plan your long game. A+, N+, windows 10 client exam it's gonna be great :) doesn't matter if it takes ages bro

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  5. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Sometimes needs must, you might have to make some sacrifices but if you set yourself the goals and make a good plan you can do it.

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  6. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

In terms of your actual question, working on a call desk will have a lot of transferable skills to a helpdesk role, as you can prove that your customer service and written skills are up to scratch, as well as showing that you are confident and comfortable enough to sit on calls etc.

Sounds like you might be doing some cold calling or debt chasing based work if I had to guess, so I would expect you are probably going to hit some irate customers and have some less than nice conversations, but you can use that to show you can handle dispute and don't get phased talking to irate users and so forth.

Many 1st line helpdesk roles are pretty much just call logging, and this new job will give you almost everything you need to do that in a helpdesk role, so it can certainly be useful going forward IMO.

Certifications: ECDL, Does that Count!?!
  7. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

You gotta do what you gotta do at the end of the day, and if this is the right call for other reasons - then so be it :)

keep at it with IT, you'll get there and be sure to keep on these boards to help you out also :)

you may even find you have a bigger desire to get back into IT once you get out of it into a different job - and it may even be a bigger push for your studying :)

either way, good luck.

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud