1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I have 2 question.. (programming and IT Support)

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Juelz, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

I indecisive of what part of IT I want to go in.. its between programming and IT support... basically what I want to know is which field is the easiest to get into? Im tempted to go with programming but its a long route in comparison to IT support... I dont want to waste my time/money either.. I pretty much like them both equally.. I suppose with programming it would be literally like learning something brand new as I have little to no knowledge of it.. with IT support I kinda have a wider understanding of it, I think realistically I'd enjoy programming more as it creative and fun. IT support for me would be a standard job that I find interesting but not really that enjoyable... but at the end of the day I want to earn money and establish a field to get into and just basically support my family as I dont want to be on minimum wage forever. If there are any programmers out there I'd like to know how you got into the field.
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
  2. dmarsh

dmarsh Terabyte Poster

I did a HND and then a degree in computer science. Since then I've been working as a programmer for about 18 years, still learning new stuff everyday.

I have good friends that are excellent programmers that are largely self taught, so there is no one way to become a programmer.

Ultimately degree or not you will need to spend a LOT of time learning continuously throughout your career, both at work and on your own time.

Personally if you have doubts about becoming a programmer, then I think you probably lack the passion and drive to really make it in the field.
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
    Certifications: CITP, BSc, HND, SCJP, SCJD, SCWCD, SCBCD, SCEA, N+, Sec+, Proj+, Server+, Linux+, MCTS, MCPD, MCSA, MCITP, CCDH