i hav no qualifications,& little experience could you pls look over my CV?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by scousehouse, Aug 30, 2010.

1. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I haven't had a good chance to look it over, unfortunately. Whenever I sit down with a CV or resume, I like to be able to have enough time to give it my full attention and the time it deserves... because once I start, my OCD-ish tendencies won't let me put it down until I've fully picked it apart. :oops: I've found that it's usually much more efficient for me to give general advice, which, when combined with the detailed advice from the other fine members of this forum, is usually enough to get your CV to where it needs to be. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Can you post it again mate?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

I'll have a look too. Didn't have the time earlier this week.

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  4. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I agree with Fergals point, there is no magic number or golden rule, 1-2 pages however makes a nice rule of thumb for most people.

It totally depends on the person interviewing, the industry, the position and the candidate.

After reading about the 'MS one page CV' I cut my CV from 3 to 2 pages, I had to be a little brutal but think I still have the most relevant content. I now think my CV is better positioned for the '30 second test' or the 'sales flyer' approach.

However I now get asked to make my CV longer by recruiters and hiring managers, proving that really you cannot please all the people, all the time. Some people at least say they want longer CV's, they want the 'sales brochure'.

There is a weakness in the 1-2 lines per job position in that if you really have made a standout difference to your company then you are likely to end up under selling yourself. Also I find people like to know exactly when and where I've used various tech, removing it totally from the job description leaves little indication of exactly what you did where and when.

Ultimately it seems you have to try to judge who you are targeting your CV at and tailor it to their needs. The US seems to prefer very short CV's from what I've heard. IT support positions also seem to be happier with general listings of technologies used.

I agree with the page limit for this poster however, people just starting out will only really need a one page CV, two pages max if they really want to try to pad it out and elaborate the sales pitch.

I really liked the MS approach and advice of listing 'standout features', you want to differentiate yourself if possible. Listing all your grade C GCSE's individually when your're 25 is not a differentiator, most other people by then will have more qualifications. Just list 10 GCSE's Grade (A-C) etc.

If you love IT so much what have you been doing about it for the last 10 years ? What does 'never lost touch' mean ?

Drop the box border, otherwise I like the general presentation, looks nice and clean.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2010
  5. BosonMichael

Perhaps, but it's worked very consistently for me. I've gotten more than half the jobs I've applied for with exactly that style of resume. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  6. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

This is anecdotal, its like the gambler that wins 50% of his bets, I can only really see it being true if you have a highly targerted approach to your applications.

Its common for people to apply to 100+ positions nowadays online in order to land a job, they will be lucky to get a recruiter call them on 60%, then they will be lucky to get an interview for 50% of those, and lucky to get a job for 30% of those.

Meaning by the time you get the job you are more than likely to be in the 10% percentile of positions you applied to.

Of course this is my annecdotal experience too, so its hard to make any real conculsions.

I think landing 50% of positions you interviewed for is far more likely figure, however this would really be more of a reflection of your interviewing skills than your CV.

7. BosonMichael

D, if I said something was white, I swear you'd say it was black. :rolleyes:

Yes, I do use a highly targeted approach. I don't send my resume blindly to recruiters and have them apply for positions indiscriminately. And the jobs I apply for, I usually (but not always) get invited for an interview (like I said, more than 50%)... and I've missed landing only one job I've interviewed for.

Imagine how many calls I'd get if I *didn't* use a highly targeted approach! :D

Anecdotal or not, the focused resume approach has worked for me. I encourage those who want to try it to do so. If you don't want to, hey, no harm no foul. Do what works for you.

8. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I'm just pointing out that your stats don't reflect what most people will experience from the modern recruitment process in my opinion. Its increasingly hard to avoid job portals and recruiters for many IT positions, if you want the position you may have no chance but to go through a recruiter.

Once a recruiter gets your CV they are indeed likely to contact you about any position they feel suitable and they generally aren't very well qualified to make this decision.

People out of work or entering the industry will also have to be less selective with their application process. I have 15 years experience and I still find I have to apply to numerous positions.

Read my posts, I have a targeted CV, its two pages despite 15+ years experience and numerous qualifications also.

9. BosonMichael

This resume style worked quite well for me when I didn't have all my skills, when I was a fresh newb starting out in IT.

One of my jobs was gotten through a recruiter. I saw the recruiter advertise the job, I sent my resume to the recruiter and told them which job I was interested in, they forwarded my resume, I got an interview, and I got the job. The fact that a recruiter advertised the position doesn't nullify the usefulness of the clean, succinct resume style.

And how does applying for a whole slew of jobs limit the usefulness of a clean resume? It doesn't. The only reason I pointed out that I've gotten over half of the jobs I've applied for is to illustrate the fact that the style works... not to illustrate the fact that you shouldn't apply for a bunch of jobs. Someone who is looking for their first IT job should scatter their CV far and wide to get their first shot.

So why the big debate over my "anecdotal evidence"? Sounds to me like you're arguing just to be arguing with me... :rolleyes:

10. scousehouse

scousehouse Bit Poster

WIP: n+,mcdst
  11. scousehouse

scousehouse Bit Poster

thank you for your post dmarsh. my career choices have taken me away from computers and IT because to be honest, I was bored, and didn't fancy working in an office ..staring at a computer screen. I needed a change, I needed to explore the country! Now I am at a point in my life that I want to return to IT. The recession certainly helped that decision. there is little work as a carpenter or builder. I also want to be clean not filthy when I get home from work!!!! have a little pride in my job you no?

So to answer your question "If you love IT so much what have you been doing about it for the last 10 years ?" I have been working, just not in I.T. YES, i should of got certified but I haven't. I've left it late, but I've made the decision to pick up the pieces and turn my back on building cites,CITB,cscs & hi-vis steel toe cap ****e. Im motivated to getting an entry level job and working my way up threw the ranks just like I have in the building trade.

I really do appreciate this thread and the help & support of all you it professionals. I will make it to the elite, just gunna be a bumpy cut throat ride.

12. asoe209

asoe209 Nibble Poster

@scousehouse Nice to see the way your CV has improved over your edits, i cant really advise you if its good or not as i am trying to do the same thing for my self right now. Either way good work..

Certifications: City & Guilds level PC repar 1 & 2
    WIP: Comptia A+
  13. scousehouse

scousehouse Bit Poster

thanks bud,good luck with yours 2 ascoe. I hope tha advice given on this thread is helping you too

14. asoe209

asoe209 Nibble Poster

yeah I have seen some good points made. Ill be re doing mine later as its in a well bad state, I rushed it just to get it up and never really took the time to do look over it. ill get slatted if i leave it up there how it is lol.

Certifications: City & Guilds level PC repar 1 & 2
    WIP: Comptia A+