I hate Vista, but here's a Vista question anyway...

Discussion in 'Software' started by delorean, Feb 20, 2008.

1. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

Hi all,

Just a wondering question this so here goes.

Did the backup/restore application change from XP to Vista? Do you get more features across different versions of Vista?

I ask because today I was setting up a backup operation for a user that had Vista Home Premium. It's the first time under Vista I've set up a backup operation. I noticed that I could only set up a full/partial backup to run daily/weekly/monthly.

Unlike in XP or other versions of Windows where I could tailor a backup to a precise system across days/weeks etc, it appears that all I can do in Vista is perform this pretty basic backup.

So am I missing an advanced config panel or has the whole thing changed for Vista? It's annoying because for now i've had to settle with the basic backup for the client while I figure out if I have missed something or if I need a better version of Vista for more features for the program.

Thanks in advance!

Certifications: A+, MCP 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: 70-680, S+, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

backup has been completely revamped for vista.

you can now backup your entire system to an easy to restore image, or specify specific types of files to backup.

3. ManicD

ManicD Byte Poster

home premium has limited backup, business and ultimate have the full backup

Certifications: MCSA, N+, A+(Tech), ECDL
    WIP: 70-294, 70-298
  4. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

Aha! Just as I suspected. The Microsoft website is not very clear on the differences from Home Premium upwards in regards to the backup/restore application.

That really sucks because my client really needs a specific backup plan, not the crap thrown in Home Premium. Oh well, I guess that is just another one of the wonderful joys of running Vista!

Thanks the info.

5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Just to sort hijack this thread sorry, but I just did a scan on PC to see if my system could run Vista and it says Vista Business in recommended but I should consider Ultimate also. Does this mean my system will run Ultimate with no problems or that Ultimate will work but I'll have to tweak it?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

gbl: If it will run Vista Business, I suspect it will run Vista Ultimate at roughly the same performance. As you might imagine, the differences between Business and Ultimate run along the business user/consumer user lines...if you'll be using this at home, I'd suggest Home Premium or Ultimate...if you'll be using this at work, you may want Vista Business.

What are the specs of your computer?

7. greenbrucelee

Specs are: C2D E6400 2.1GHz
    3GB RAM @ 800MHz
    Asus P5NE-SLi mobo
    Nvidia 8600GT graphics
    250GB Western Digital Caviar Hard disk with 184GB free

and it'll be for home use if I decide to get Vista.

8. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Is your client a home user?
    if not there is not reason they should be running Home Premium anyway, its not aimed at corporate users, even small ones

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  9. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

You shouldn't have any problem running Vista Ultimate. As you're probably aware, Ultimate is much more expensive than the other versions, but it has a lot of features that may or may not be useful to you. You can see the feature comparisons here.

10. greenbrucelee

Cheers Josh.:D

11. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

Thoroughly agree. They are a small business. I just service the machine as and when, made no decision in buying it. Quite agree though, they should be running at least Vista Business.

Whoever chose the machine didn't think it through I guess. It's annoying as it leaves us with a basic backup soloution that doesn't really meet their needs. I guess it's 50% the fault of the client buying a machine that doesn't meet their needs, but also the blame of Microsoft for having a cash cow OS that doesn't have a decent backup/restore application across all flavours of it's rubbish Vista product.

Damn you Microsoft! *shakes his fist at the monitor* :bud

12. greenbrucelee

See what I am doing is thinking ahead for when I go for my advanced certs in the future as I am sure Vista will come into certain certs at some point. Unless Windows 7 takes off before Vista is upto SP2.

13. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

Vista = Windows Me.

If I can avoid Vista I will. Here's hoping 'Windows 7' is great! :rolleyes:

14. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Nowhere close. If you choose to disdain Vista, that's fine... but it's nowhere near the mistake Windows Me was; that's a poor comparison.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  15. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

Windows Vista = Arthur?

Hehe just messing with you. I guess my comparison of Vista to Windows Me is a bit harsh, but I still bloody hate the damn OS and am trying all I can to avoid it! :bath

16. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

For the record... I've got a full retail boxed copy of Vista Ultimate sitting right here next to me... and I *still* installed XP Pro on a recent reinstall. :D

I don't hate it... but I have no real compelling reason to migrate from XP... yet.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  17. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

I don't have any flavour of Vista at all, still on XP Pro. Like yourself, I have no reason yet to upgrade.

That said, more of my clients are using Vista as they receive it with systems they purchase. I have tried to avoid Vista use so far, but with more of them using it I think I might need to upgrade soon.

I DON'T WANT TO THOUGH!!!! :bud