1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I hate old hardware...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SimonD, Jan 28, 2010.

1. SimonD

SimonD Terabyte Poster Moderator

So my wifes shuttle was BSODed when I got up this morning (it stays on for WHS backups over wireless so no WoL for her), anyway after trying a couple of the usual suspects (reseating the ram, trying a repair just incase something broke over night, booting from a Win 7 dvd) I knew I had to take it apart.

Working in the shuttle isn't a bad thing, it's fairly tight but still workable. After changing out the 160gb disk (03 2007), I put the new disk in and tried booting up with the WHS restore CD. No good, so that ruled out a dead HDD.

Next it was a case of trying to run memtest86+, instantly I get a screen full of red errors :( so out come the dimms and its time to test. First dimm goes back in, screen full of red :( now rather than try the same dimm in the other slot I decided to see if it was memory controller error, I take the other dimm and put it in the same slot. Boot up comes and I have a clean screen :) Next I move the dimm to the other slot and try again, same result :)

Now I have to go through the pain of putting the original hdd back and try and find some cheap ddr400 ram (1gb as she had 2gb onboard).

All in all not a night that I wanted (it was meant to be cinema night for us, Sherlock 'was' calling :()
    Anyway, she is happy and I can breath easier that my wife and son won't be playing on my gaming rig any time soon.

Moral of the story? Ensure you check everything, I would have sworn it was a hdd issue but thankfully had the Mem86 cd to hand just to check. At least I don't have to rebuild anything :D

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
    WIP: VCP6-CMA, VCAP-DCD and Linux + (and possibly VCIX-NV).
  2. zr79

zr79 Byte Poster

I do at least one of these every day, sometimes 7 days a week.

Certifications: A+
  3. Patient-Edd

Patient-Edd Bit Poster

Don't tell me you do it 365 days a year too! :lol:

Certifications: CertCompMath (open)
    WIP: MCDST, BSc (Hons) Computing