I get multiple errors on my laptop

Discussion in 'Software' started by Professor-Falken, Nov 5, 2007.

1. Professor-Falken

Professor-Falken Kilobyte Poster

I ran spybotsd and it found and fixed more than 50 spyware entries. After that the computer ran faster.

When browsing the web I get popups in Internet Explorer.Also when I try to look at my files using Windows Explorer or My Computer I get one of two types errors one is Data Protection Error and the second is the famous Winodows Must Close This Program Send Error Report - Dont Send Error Report.
    Also I get another error which seems harmless. It reads.

Windows Server Busy
    This action cannot be completed because the other program is busy. Choose 'Switch To' to activate the busy program and
    correct the problem.

And here is the last error I recieve from time to time from Mcaffee Antivirus

Mcaffe
    The file C:\ Documents and Settings\Local Settings\Temporary Internet
    is is infected by the Generic Downloader trojan and cannot be cleaned

and when I try to delete the file I am unable to.

I want to backup but I cant because I can't even view my files through Windows Explorer or My Computer.
    I cant copy to my thumb drive from MS-DOS from either a DOS windows or booting to a DOS command prompt in Windows XP Home.

I dont mind reformatting my hard drive and reinstalling but I cant use My Computer or Windows Explorer or DOS to copy
    files to a hard drive. When I try to copy in DOS to a thumb drive get an access is denied error.

Can anyone help

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia Network +
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Buy a hard disk, remove the old hard disk and install the new hard disk, install Windows from scratch, slave the old drive, and SELECTIVELY copy as few files as possible to salvage important documents and data.

If you don't have the money to buy a new hard disk, slave your hard disk to another computer, salvage data to the other computer, reinstall the hard disk, wipe and reinstall, then slave the other computer's hard drive and move the important data back.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. vlb

vlb Byte Poster

well you have a few options, i am presuming you dont have a second pc to which you could install your current HDD as a slave.

1) try booting into safe mode and copying files from their

2) reinstall windows without a format, all that will happen is that operating system files will be overwritten and not data (presuming you mean things like movies, photos etc will be) your documents and settings folder will be renamed. then move your data and then do a format then install.

3) do what boson says.

**edit....just read the title and realised it was a laptop you are using....you could buy a 2.5" caddy and slip your lappys HDD in their, plug into another pc's usb and transfer data off.

Certifications: MCDST, MCP 70-294
    WIP: MCSE
  4. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

bart pe anyone?

5. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

You could also remove the rest of the nasties that are doing this!

In my experience it *is* possible to recover a machine like this without a re-install - but it is hard work!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

...or an adapter like this: link

Very useful, and worth every penny, I promise you. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

I think you might want to try and visit mcaffee's web site and download the downloader trojan removal.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  8. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Here's the link:

http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  9. vlb

vlb Byte Poster

spot on :rocks

Certifications: MCDST, MCP 70-294
    WIP: MCSE
  10. TimoftheC

TimoftheC Kilobyte Poster

Prof - you haven't mentioned whether you have tried booting to safe mode and trying to clean the viruses that way. Some viruses/malware load on startup and therefore are in use and cannot be gotten rid of when the os boots normally, safe mode can get around this.

Also, following on from what boson said, I gave an old 10g hd in an external caddie that connects to the pc via usb. Is great for getting stuff off the internal hdd when it goes tits up

Just a thought

Certifications: A+; Network+
    WIP: MCDST???