I failed...

Discussion in 'A+' started by reverb, May 20, 2009.

1. reverb

reverb Byte Poster

....the practice exams on the Meyers AIO CD. For the Essentials I got 76% and for 602, I got a shocking 62% :biggrin

I've already finished the book but still need to give it a another read of course. Probably another round after seeing my poor practice exam results.

I've pretty much forgotten the stuff I read 2 months ago but still wanted to test myself to see how much I actually remembered, which is not much except what I already knew.
    My confidence has taken a knock from the practice tests. The questions and the answers to choose from kind of threw me off. It seems like for some of the questions, 3/4 of answers are correct lol.

How much time is there for the 2006 exam? I don't want to rush it especially as I'm not doing too well at the moment :D

Any good studying techniques that will help me retain the information?
    Thanks

2. Finkenstein

Finkenstein Kilobyte Poster

Stick to it man, you can do it!

I've found that when it comes to retention, do a little bit every day, and I'd generally NEVER do more than 2 hours in a session or you'll probably get burned out. The exception is if you are doing something hands on that is really interesting for you. I've also found it doesn't hurt to get pepped up on caffeine while studying. :)

Good Luck!

Certifications: MCP, Network+, CCENT, ITIL v3
    WIP: 640-822
  3. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

They are different exams so I would treat them as such. 72% for the 601 is somewhere around a passing grade, so I would hammer that for a week or two and then think about sitting the exam.

You haven't failed yet, as you havent sat the exam, and if that is failing then I dont pass the exam until my 30th attempt :D

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  4. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Keep it up mate... you will pass, I too failed the practice exams when I did them for the first time.... it's a matter of reviewing for you now, you already know quite a bit.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  5. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Heads up dude and go for it another time you'd get there. Best wishes:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  6. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

Use the summary at the end of the tests to figure out which areas you need to concentrate on, and don't look at the answers to the questions until you feel you're almost ready for the real thing.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  7. Pheonicks56

Pheonicks56 Kilobyte Poster

Try using different study materials for revision besides the book. Look at professormesser.com and try the podcosts I've mentioned, it might make the material stick a little bit better.

Certifications: BSIT, AAIT, A+
    WIP: Network+
  8. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

I was pretty much the same after my first read through. In fact my 601 score never got close to a pass until the 2nd time I'd read through the book, taking notes. I also found that every practice exam I did was harder than the real thing. As I said before, in my hurried post, don't look at the answers for the questions at this stage. That way you can do the exams as many times as you need, to identify your weak areas, without having the results skewed by familiarity with the questions. I went through several cycles of test>identify>study before my marks were up above 80% for both.

All indications are that you'll have a good few months yet, and I would reckon 90% of what you're learning now will still be relevant.
    Some type of flashcards are essential, imo, for these exams. There's so much that needs to be remembered and a lot of it doesn't lend itself well to any other technique. I used mnemosyne.
    I also used the Sybex A+ book (Docter et al) when I found AIO had taken me as far as it could.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  9. reverb

reverb Byte Poster

I'll try and do that from now on. I read the book on weekends only (I guess I'm cramming too much info) as during the weekdays, I'm usually so sleepy and tired :D . I felt like it would waste my time reading when I could barely open my eyes. Can't have too much tea or coffee - heartburn sufferer here :D booo

Thanks. I have taken a brief look on the videos. They seem very helpful :)

I only done 1 of each test, so I intend to do the others after I;ve read the book again.

That's a reasonable amount of time, as I was kind of worried I wouldn't finish in time.

Thanks for the replies all

10. Hooligan

Hooligan Bit Poster

Good luck on your next shot at it.

Just remember that your brain is a muscle and like your other muscles it does need excercise.
    if youre iffy about any aspects rather research it until you understand before moving on.
    GOOD LUCK

Please ignore my signature it is certainly not relevent to this topic

Last edited: Sep 17, 2009
  11. dino66uk

dino66uk Nibble Poster

With a little bit of Hardwork & Dedication you can do anything. :p

Certifications: A+ CCENT
    WIP: ICND 2