I decided to MCSE because iam without any Real Time coding Experience

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by ramya sri, Jan 20, 2007.

1. ramya sri

ramya sri New Member

I'm a SCJP,now I decided to go for Microsoft Certification.As I didn't had any real time coding Experience,iam going for MCSE exam rather than MCSD.I completly didn't had any knowledge about MCSE ,A+ certifications.

so which one of the 7 MCSE Exams suits me?How the exam looks i mean just Online exam or Practical show up in front of them like RHCE...?

2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Okay, so you don't have any real-time coding experience. If you don't have any real-time network administration experience, you shouldn't be going after the MCSE either.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Welcome to CF.

Michael makes a valid point in that if you don't have any hands on experience of MS sytems and networking then you shouldn't (yet) be looking at the MCSE.

What many people new to IT certification do not realise is that the MCSE is not simply one certification, it is a collection of smaller certifications (MCP's) that build up your skills to a certain level. After completing seven different MCP exams you gain MCSE (only if you do the right seven).

Now, back to you. If you are lacking in practical experience then it is always a good place to start at the bottom and work your way up, personaly I would start with the A+ exams which are vendor neutral (they don't simply focus on Microsoft) and establish the basic foundations on which all IT is based.

8)

4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Microsoft certifications are what is known as professional certifications, as it looks like you do not have any real-life experience in the IT field it wouldn't be advisable to get the MCSE/MCSA (MS states that you'll need at least a year working in that environment, related to the cert, and have exposer to the technology).

However as an entry level cert, look towards the A+, Network+ and the MCDST certs to get the ball rolling.

If you achieved the MCSE/MCSA without experience in the real IT world, you may find that it will hinder your chances of finding a job (basing this on the fact that the MCSE is a high qualification especially for entry level, eg helpdesk, but because of no real world experience I doubt if anyone will hire a person to look after their network without experience). I do not say these things to dismay you, rather to help you.

Hope this helps

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I have to ask - how did you get the SCJP if you have no coding experience?

Or did you mean that you have never actualy writen anything in Java outside of the cert?

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

The exams are all taken at either a VUE or Prometric exam centre. They are not on-line as such, they are downloaded by the testing centre, so that each exam is unique and they are mostly multiple choice. The seven exams needed to become MCSE are, as has been said tough, even for a seasoned IT pro. Most questions are multiple choice but don't underestimate the complexity of the topics covered and do not commit yourself (financially) to something which may not be for you.

Heed the good advice above and realign your goals to suit your present knowledge and practical experience.

It is possible to gain an MCSE without the experience but it's not advisable, you would be classed as a *paper MCSE* and there is enough bad press about them to put off most clued up employers.

Remember, it is real world experience coupled with certifications which underpin your knowledge that counts. If you have one without the other, you would be better off and far more employable with *experience* rather than a piece of paper which basically states you *might* be able to do the job.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  7. ramya sri

ramya sri New Member

thanks alot for ur Replies