I could use some advise pls

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by iNco, Jul 13, 2010.

1. iNco

iNco New Member

Hi

I started out in 1999 working straight after college as a Systems Support Analyst and carried this on for 2 years until I left to do something non IT related. I have also in the past 10 years done some work on an IT helpdesk.

Now I am currently looking to get back into the field of IT where I currently live in Abu Dhabi and have found that employers are looking for people with degrees and with me not having this and not having any IT experience in the past 4 years i am really struggling to stand out when applying for jobs. Plus I am having to compete with the influx of degree qualified workers from India and Pakistan.

So i have decided to try an make myself more employable by studying for some IT qualifications’. I had my mind set on a CCNA and have been researching doing this from a number of TP's. Namely QA, new horizon, firebrand or commsupport although I am more inclined to opt for QA as the course is structured over 2x5 days and not crammed into 6 days and with me being out of IT for a while will give me time between courses to absorb and follow up on what I have learnt. Although is it foolish of me to pay £2,000 for this course when CCNA courses are being offered for far less but from less well known companies?

Also from reading what people have said on these forums I am starting to think that coming back into IT after such a long break perhaps the CCNA qualification would not be the best suited, as most employers would look for experience in that area. Would a MCDST be more appropriate for now and then consider a CCNA further down the line?

Or is there perhaps some other qualifications i should consider?

I appreciate any advice you can offer.

2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

A+,Network+ and MCDST would be good places to start.

The A+ Network+ and MCDST will give you a good grounding and since you have support experience they will backup that experience, which is what certs a primarily for.

Once you gain experience in CISCO then you can venture forth onto the CCNA.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. cisco lab rat

cisco lab rat Megabyte Poster

Certifications: Yes I pretty much am!!
    WIP: Fizzicks Degree