I cant get the floppy disk out of the drive?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Professor-Falken, Jul 24, 2007.

1. Professor-Falken

Professor-Falken Kilobyte Poster

I cant get the floppy disk out of the Hard drive what should I do? Here is another situation not talked about in the A+ book.

Hey is there another book that I should think about getting that talks about these situations.

Professor Falken

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia Network +
  2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Only the online one you were previously pointed to HERE.

Prof, man - you really have to think about some of these problems yourself, before posting here, or expecting a book to have your answer. Remember, as a tech - no two days are ever the same. Users bring up different problems every time, and on a regular basis - you need to be ready for that, and think on your feet.

Let's start with your opening question:-

As I doubt you have a floppy stuck in the hard drive, might you mean in the floppy drive ? My immediate response is shut down the machine, open it (you've backed up user data by this time :wink:), and carefully, observing ESD rules, remove the floppy drive.

Then, spend 50p on a 2nd hand floppy drive, or take one from the pile of parts you have built up over time working with machines, condemning them but keeping usable parts, and put it in the machine to return it to a working state.

Don't mean to be harsh here, but no one said learning was easy. We've been telling you this for a while now, Dude - you should listen a little :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Um - a floppy disk in a hard drive would go into the record books!

If it is in the floppy drive then it is probably damaged. Best way of dealing is to remove the floppy drive from the machine, remove the covers, and find where the bent bit of the sliding cover (which is the usual culprit) is, and use a small flat-bladed screwdriver to hold it down while you eject the floppy.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

That's why employers want people with hands-on experience rather than certifications. 8)

First, you can't insert a floppy disk into a hard drive. If you've managed to do so, that's some trick!!!

If, however, you mean that you can't get the floppy disk out of the floppy disk drive, and you've already pushed the button to eject it, then there's any number of mechanical reasons why the disk could be stuck. The little metal tab might have come off the floppy, the disk label could have become unstuck from the disk and stuck to the insides of the drive, there could be something in the drive that's blocking the disk... it could be almost anything.

There's no book that will cover every PC problem you could have. It's just not possible. That's what experience... and Google... are for. That's why experienced techs get paid the big bucks... and why we always recommend that you start out at entry-level and work your way up so you can learn as you go.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. Professor-Falken

Professor-Falken Kilobyte Poster

Listen I dont mean to be harsh either but you come off strong and rude who do you think you are anyway dude.
    I guess you couldnt guess I made a typo. When I said there was a floppy disk in the hard drive? Everytime you talk to me like that it makes me never want to get on this board you should take some manner lessons from bluerinse. I dont mean to be harsh. Anyway I guess I will always to have to research my answer on google first. Wow I feel so free to post any question.
    If thats the case then I will find another board.

Professor Falken

WIP: Comptia Network +
  6. BosonMichael

I think he's someone who's trying to give you good advice that you're taking far too personally.

And yes, you *should* always research your answer on Google first. If you don't, employers will not perceive you to be self-reliant, which is a "must have" skill for a tech.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  7. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

I have to disagree with you there BM after all, this forum is where most people get their knowledge and understanding from!
    Not just about certs but about how hardware and software works and about things in general.

Google can only do so much and besides the downside with Google is it depends on the key word used on the search.

Here's an example of what happen to me the other day at work!

Some Muppet decided to plug both ends of a CAT5e cable into RJ45 socket and brought the whole network down!

Now what keyword would you use on google to find out how to go about finding a solution to the problem or advice?

If PF put HDD problems as a key word then he would be bombarded with loads of links for disk defrag software of HDD sellers like ebuyer.

CF wouldn't exist if everyone thought of ignoring it and going somewhere else for their advice8)

WIP: Comptia N+
  8. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Use some tweezers whilst pushing the eject button it worked for me when I had a FLOPPY diskette drive about 15 years ago.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  9. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

I'm afraid my days of lengthy posts in defence of my words and actions here are behind me, so I will only apologise unreservedly for any offence caused.

Professor Falken, please don't leave the boards on account of anythign I've said or done - I will in future try and not post any responses to you. I mean this well.

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  10. BosonMichael

Come on, UCM, you can't *honestly* believe that this particular problem couldn't *easily* have been answered by using Google? If not... here's a link. One has to use the tool correctly in order to get useful results from it... including using the correct terminology.

Do you ever wonder why many of us don't ask for technical help on forums?

Advice is one thing... getting someone to solve your problems for you is completely another... particularly problems that *can* be easily searched.

I don't know - what keyword did YOU use, if any? You likely didn't need to use a keyword... you probably just needed your eyes. After all, I didn't see you running here to have someone diagnose your problem for you...

11. Fluid

Fluid Byte Poster

Professor-Falken grow up.... :x :x :x :x

12. Fluid

Fluid Byte Poster

Also just realised that you posted on the wrong forum! This is the SOFTWARE forum not the HARDWARE! Open your eyes!

13. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  14. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Hmm Good point - only just seen this myself:biggrin :p

15. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

BM there's over 4000 PC's connected to the network do you really think I am going to run to every single point and check the network connection. Actually I did post the thread here, but no one answered it like some of the threads here they get missed depending on who is online and what time

I concur but it's difficult to know what skill/knowledge PF has in the IT world. I know PF has Passed A+ but that's it!
    What about you? Do you know his background?

I once worked with someone who didn't know the difference between adding Acid to water or water to acid. He had a 1st class degree in Biochemistry. Yet he could never work out how to make solutions in ppb and ppm for Flow injection Analysis and HPLC.:rolleyes: What really pissed me off he got paid more than me!!

Probably because you have forgotten what is like to be a Newbie in the IT world. Let's face BM you have a successful Business in IT plus years of experience behind you and your own forum plus the other ones you belong to like MCSEworld it's not surprising you don't ask the questions anymore. probably because you have already been there and done that or can speak face to face with your staff or know where to go on the web.

But for us (I include myself in that statement) who still fresh to the IT world where do we go CF has always been my choice. Because there are always questions here that someone has asked that I have been thinking of. If I can't find it here I go searching on Google and then TU!

16. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Disagree fella - and here's why. I've seen lots of posts from you on here that, in all seriousness, needed nothing more than a quick check on Google for you to be able to get the answer. In almost every case, this would also have been quicker for you.

Believe me - on many of the forums I've been on, this would have been the standard response. This forum isn't like that, and people here are generally a lot friendlier and more willing to help than flame than on many other tech forums.

I don't think Jak was being at all harsh in what he said - without wishing to sound condescending, the question you posted wasn't really technical - it was more of a 'common sense' type question.

As for his comment on your 'typo' about the Floppy disk in the Hard Drive - if you think that was harsh, then, as before, I'm glad you're on this forum on not others I've been on. You would have been crucified for a typo like that - far more than people on here poking a little bit of fun at you!

Chill mate.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  17. BosonMichael

Hmm... never saw it, my apologies.

It doesn't matter what his background is. Google can help many of his searches. I don't care if you're a fry cook... the answers are out there. :)

There's always something that a person has difficulty doing. If his job was to make solutions in ppb and ppm, and he couldn't find a resource to teach him what he was doing wrong, then he was in the wrong job. Similarly, I'd be in the wrong job if I was an artist - I can't draw worth anything.

I haven't forgotten what it's like to be a newbie... I encounter things I can't solve with my own knowledge and experience every single day, and I'm not exaggerating in the least. Certainly my experience gives me ideas as to where to start looking... but plugging an error message into Google is something anyone can do, and I quite often have to do that, myself.

I don't have a successful IT business - I work for an employer. I also don't have a staff, and don't currently supervise anyone directly. That said, I do have a successful IT career.

I don't have my own IT forum - what forum is it that I own?

My point is that I don't ask the questions because I find the answers myself, and have since I was a newbie tech (read this thread).

If you come here first to solve your problems before you decide to use Google, realize that as large as CF is, it doesn't compare to the resources of the Internet. There's only so many errors that we've seen, ourselves. So when you guys ask these questions, do you know how I answer them? With all honesty, I usually use Google to get you the answers you need. Since I'm looking at the same place you could be looking, you're only slowing yourself down by posting and then waiting on a response you could have immediately.

Eh, just my opinion. I'm not telling you what you should and shouldn't post... but I am saying that when someone asks questions that are easily searchable, then we're just doing the legwork for them.

18. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Fair play mate!:thumbleft

I'm sure that on one of your post you said you were setting up a training company in IT??

19. BosonMichael

We did - a practice test provider. However, Josh and I realized that we wouldn't be able to produce content quickly enough unless we worked it as a day job, 40 hours a week... and working nights and weekends were killing us. We attempted to get investors, but nobody would fund us for more than 2 months at a time (which is just about enough time to get a product to market, but not enough time to gain profitability), then maaaaaybe invest for another 2 months. Couldn't risk it. So Josh and I sold to Boson, and are currently working for Boson as their senior content developers.

20. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

I'm just looking at the BOSON website looks very impressive and nice web design. Could you and Josh make your ambition possible through BOSON by working up the ladder??

Possibly even taking over the company?