I can't believe my luck!!

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Danmurph, Feb 8, 2010.

1. Danmurph

Danmurph Byte Poster

Hello people how are you all,

I just wanted to share something with you all and offer some encouragement to those of you that are struggling to find work in the I.T. industry.
    I have been working on a service desk for the past ten months and saw a job for a network analyst come up that was closer to home, the job spec looked a bit advanced for my skill set but I thought what the hell, go for it, be truthful, you never know. This was back in November.
    In the interview I told the employer I was no expert in any field as such but was 110% committed to my career. I had a general understanding in each skill but due to lack of exposure in a lot of it didn't have the working knowledge. I told them where I lacked in this I would make up with hard work and that they would only need to speak to my previous employer to find this out (confident I would get a good reference).
    A week later the company got back to me and said I didn't get the job and that it was very close but they decided to go with a guy with a bit more experience as it would be quicker for them to train him up.
    I though that was the end of that until last week I got a phone call from the guy and he said he had made a big mistake, the original employee had lied on his CV about his skill set and got caught out!! They offered me the job there and then without a second interview. Now the ball was in my court I said to them "how do I know your not going to sack me in three months?" He said have you lied on your CV so I said no, he said then I won't sack you. I want someone who is hard working and who is willing to learn; if you give me this I will give you training and a great Job. I couldn't believe it!!
    I waited until I got the contract and handed it in to my current employer explaining all of the above and explaining how I need to make this move as I feel I have out grown the service desk and need to advance on my career.
    To my surprise he told me he respected my honesty and my courage in changing jobs and chasing my career in the current employment situation. He told me I would always be welcome back to this job if it never worked out and that he would give me a great reference.
    The great thing about this job is they have picked me to replace someone, as the I.T manager is retiring they will be moving into his role and I will be moving into theirs. I start the job in 1 month and cannot wait! It's a very small I.T department so it will be hands on from day one, learning every aspect of a fully functional multiple site infrastructure, with some fantastic technology which I will be trained in from the ground up!!
    The main point of this rant (and I really am sorry about the length) is that by taking a chance (but not lying, just persuading the employer I am a hard worker and believing I can do it) I got a dream job!!

I would also like to share that I too was a victim of the demise of Advent. I got MCDST and a+ but feel anything above this is definitely not worth having until you have some working knowledge in I.T. I wish I knew this before I spent 5k to study but hey you live and learn, that was yesterday, I have this to look forward to now. Thanks to everyone on this forum for their advice on interviews too, (this was the biggest help in landing this job not my certs although they obviously helped)

Please let me know what you think, if you have any questions I would love to answer them (job roles etc)

Danny :biggrin

Certifications: MCDST, MCP, A+
    WIP: Everything!!
  2. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Awesome work fella!

So what the new role entail?

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  3. Bongo_Fury

Bongo_Fury Bit Poster

Well done! And best of luck to you.

Certifications: A+ MCDST
    WIP: N+
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Great inspirational testimony, Danny... and filled with good advice. Repped. Congrats!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Congrats mate :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. Danmurph

Danmurph Byte Poster

well (and I can't believe I am going to get to do this stuff) here is the job spec

Install, set up and monitor company computer network. Perform a variety of off maintenance, evaluation, installation and training tasks to ensure that the IT systems performance meets all company and user requirements

Administer network utilizing tcp/ip and AD systems

Evaluate and recommend purchases of computer equipment, network hardware peripheral equipment and commercial software

Investigate and solve end user problems

Install and configure all hardware requirements, install and configure network wiring where possible

Test and document for both source code and usage of any company software developments and changes, install and upgrade

Plan and implement internet security including firewalls and internet access
    Insure that data is backed up on a regular basis and is secure
    Implement and document recovery plans
    Maintain user profiles access and security

Troubleshoot networks, systems and applications, to identify and correct malfunctions and other operational difficulties

Develop and conduct various training courses on the use of both commercial and company software

Identify utilization patterns and their effect on operations, system availability and performance expectations

Anticipate communication and networking problems and implement preventive measures

Establish and maintain a database of hardware and software. Implement and maintain a planned maintenance system for all hardware

Ensure timely notification of maintenance requirements and effects on system availability

Maintain a log of all software bugs and enhancements requested

Document all network problems and resolutions for future reference

Maintain and keep secure the intranet and any external web access to the companies systems

WOW :D

7. Sparky

That lot should keep you going for a while mate. :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  8. Danmurph

Danmurph Byte Poster

Thanks, enthusiasm and hard work are key, I honestly believe if you don't enjoy this industry, you are going to find it very hard to get anywhere, don't chase the pound, chase job satisfaction!

9. Sparky

Eh? :blink ....lets not go overboard here mate!

Only kidding, congrats again! :biggrin

10. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Congratulations mate, sounds excellent:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  11. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

congrats on the job. Looks great

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  12. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Well done !

Looks like a good start to a long career in IT :biggrin

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  13. Danmurph

Danmurph Byte Poster

haha, sorry :oops: got a bit caught up in the moment, seriously though, the money will come later if you are enthusiastic i think!

14. Sparky

It does mate, sounds like you have the right attitude so its all good. 8)

15. meh

meh Bit Poster

Danny

Thats great news. Well done mate! And thanks for posting it, it gives everyone here looking for a job encouragement.

Certifications: CIW, A+, N+ 3x MCP
    WIP: MCSA 2003, CCNA
  16. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Congrats on the new job. :)

17. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I agree completely. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  18. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Congrats mate. Good luck with it too. :thumbleft

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  19. IT2009

IT2009 Byte Poster

It was really nice to read your post :)
    Condratulations and good luck!

Certifications: MCP, HND Business Information Systems
    WIP: A+
  20. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Congrats dude! Keep it up!

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA