I cannot decide which client!!!

Discussion in 'Windows 7 / 8 /10 Client Exams' started by decebal, Oct 12, 2010.

1. decebal

decebal Bit Poster

Hi There!!! I want to study for MCSA but I am in doubt for which one of the client to go, to remain for the Windows Xp (70-270) or to go for the Windows 7 the Exam (70-680)? The point is all organizations still use Win Xp on their computers because they do not need to upgrade the PCs but on the other side Win 7 will be a future proof.
    Is a difficult decision!!!

Any help, please?

Certifications: CompTIA A+, N+
    WIP: MCSE/MCSA
  2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

This question has been asked a few times and the general consensus is to stick with XP, as this is the most common client out there still and the information is relevant and worth knowing. You can upgrade the exams to the Windows 7 equivalent later on.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. decebal

decebal Bit Poster

Thank you v much!!!

Certifications: CompTIA A+, N+
    WIP: MCSE/MCSA
  4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

You are most welcome :)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  5. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

yah, XP's still used in a ton of places. We would like to see more places move onto 7, but... it takes time and effort.

If you understand XP concepts, you'll have an easier time to upgrade to 7 concepts later on as there's some overlap. Overall, understand a broader base of operating systems is a good thing no matter what.

If you do some XP based exams such as MCDST, you can upgrade to 7 exams much easier, but an MCSA will take some time to achieve and the MCDST's will be retired next year I think, so just keep at it and keep true to your XP studies. You can always do 7 later. 8 will probably show up in 2012 so you got time. Upgrade paths are the easiest solution once you get into the 'game' of certification.

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

...and... a reason to change. :rolleyes:

Doesn't matter how much effort Microsoft exerts. XP works just fine... most people (and particularly, companies) do not see a reason to upgrade. Microsoft is a victim of their own success with XP.

What Microsoft does not seem to realize is that the more they try to push people away from XP to 7, the more those consumers decide that if they're gonna have to learn a new OS anyway, they might just consider giving an alternative a try.

Microsoft creates good OSes, and to be honest, I prefer them. But I honestly believe that Microsoft has lost touch with its consumer base.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2010
    Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. purana

purana Nibble Poster

PS. I thought I saw Windows XP still has support for another 1300-1500 days before it's EOL. So plenty of life left in it just yet. Don't recall exact number, but somewhere in that ball park.

Certifications: MCTS x 6, MCITP x3, ITILv3 Foundations, LPIC-1, LPIC-2, Novel CLA, CommVault Simpana 9
    WIP: MCITP: EA, RHCE, OEL, RHCVE
  8. cosway

cosway Nibble Poster

I would agree with the others here, if you can get an XP based MCP or MCDST on your CV, employers will see you as relevent to their current organisation:), if you then upgrade to 7 then you are also seen as being the "chosen one" that will lead them into the new eara of windows 7 / server 2008 based technology:biggrin. Also you can show you keep yourself upto date with new technology.

Definetly get the XP certs whilest you can, they're about to be retired as previously mentioned.

Certifications: MCDST, MCSA, A+
    WIP: MCSE
  9. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

To be honest I would do both... I think having both will benefit you a lot and will add more value. However I would personally start with XP and then upgrade to Windows 7.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  10. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

But... But...

All those surveys...

:eek:

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD