I am stumped

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by Bluerinse, Feb 14, 2005.

1. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Hi, can anyone tell me how to configure the NT1+2 software to utilise both ISDN channels so that I can browse at 128K? The NT1+2 ISDN unit is provided by Telstra. I don't know whether you guys have even seen it before but thought I would ask the question anyway :rolleyes:

The problem is that SBS which has M$ Exchange built in, uses a demand dial interface in RRAS (routing and remote access) rather than the usual dial up connection. It seems the NT1+11 software links itself to a normal dial up connection but because one doesn't exist it doesn't switch over to 128K ever :(

If I manually create a dial up connection (to Bigpond btw) it will work at 128K but Exchange and my home network won't work.

I need the software to somehow forget the dial up connection and look at the demand dial interface instead.

Any help would be much appreciated as I have been living with dial up for three years and have had ISDN installed today and want to use it to the max - BADLY :)

Pete ​
    [​IMG]

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  2. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

so can you not actually USE DUN in SBS? (sorry havnt used it since SBS 4.5 :)
    also, is it an option to perhaps move the ISDN connection external to the SBS box, ie via say a Cisco Router or the like, and have SBS assume its connected via a LAN connection? (probably not eh?)

what version of SBS are you using?

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  3. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Hi Ryan, sorry probably didn't make it clear. Michele, just arrived home from work yesterday (Valentines Day) and we were going out for a Ruby Murray. I had to just click submit and close the lappy down :biggrin

I have recently installed SBS 2003 Standard edition (no ISA or SQL) and the Telstra tech installed the ISDN box and tested it, but he only left our house at 4pm and I still had to contact Bigpond (our ISP) to get them to allow our connection. The ISP charges are being billed on our phone bill and they wanted 72 hours to do this :eek: I wasn't happy with the half hour it took me on the phone to convince them to turn it on now :D So I was short of time to say the least.

If I set up a normal DUN, then it WILL work fine BUT the routing doesn't i.e. no other machines on the network can browse and Exchange on the SBS box wont work either. There is a wizard in Server Management (yuk) which configures your internet connection and it only sets up a dial on demand interface in RRAS. If I set up a normal DUN as well, SBS doesn't use it and even though I am connected it shows as beling disconnected.

You might be onto something with the router option. I am new to this as been on dial up for soooo long and have otherwise only seen ADSL.

Are the ADSL adapters in the UK configured and controlled by software on the PC that manages the switching of channels (bumping? Multilink?) or can the ISDN adapters think for themselves?

Cheers, any insight would be greatly appreciated!!

Pete

4. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

ADSL doesn't rely on channels as such, Pete - it's connected to the VP at the PSTN Exchange, effectively connecting to the "fat pipe" from there [Ryan - read "phat-pipe" jk :wink: ]

Sorry I can't be of assistance on the ISDN issue, as it doesn't sound like it works in the same way as any cases I used to deal with - generally, when the ISDN line was setup, the second channel automatically picked up upon load, there was nothing you had to do after initial config (and I had usually run a mile from such calls well before that stage [​IMG])

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Sorry Jak, I meant to write *Are the ISDN adapters bla bla*.

I have just got up and am bleary eyed as usual first thing in the morning :biggrin

6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Okay guys thanks, I have sorted it out.

Read the manual and stole an entry in how to configure the ISDN adapter for Red Hat, all it needed was an initialisation string set in the modem properties of the demand dial interface and Bob is my uncle :biggrin

Happy days!!

Pete