I am member of the BCS now!

Discussion in 'Professional Associations' started by hippy, Mar 13, 2009.

1. hippy

hippy Kilobyte Poster

Wooo!

I think i am MBCS! The email did not tell me my grade but i can only access the MBCS logo so i figure im an MBCS! :)

Now i just need to get my arse in gear with the 70-284!

2. StormTHX

StormTHX Byte Poster

Congrats!:rocks

Certifications: MCDST, MCP (210), A+, ITIL Foundations
    WIP: Taking a break then onto MCSE
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Cool, congrats, welcome to the club... Pretty soon the CITP/CEng???

Good luck with the Exchange exam :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Well done mate!

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  5. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Congrats on the MBCS, Your commited now to learning and up keeping your professionalism. Also it'll look damn good on the cv!

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  6. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Hey well done ! :biggrin

Now you can join the rest of us endlessly explaining to people what it means and who the BCS are ! :p

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  7. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

What does it mean and who are the BCS? :twisted:

The only thing I would say, is that I have not seen BCS in any job adverts that I have looked at recently.

I know in the Financial Services market, you where expected to be a member of the Chartered Insurance Institute (CII) and have credentials such as Cert CII Cert PFS and these where asked for in jobs.

But there was really no other qualifications apart from these for the Financial Advisor entering the market.

OK, I'm waffling now, anyways my question is it really worth the money, as I have thought about joining, to enhance my prospects to get that 3rd Line role.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  8. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

Well i have a accountancy background and a lot of regulated areas require membership of certain associations for regulation (education and monitoring) eg acca, aca,icaew etc.

If IT became regulated then that would be different.

I can see this happening in certain industries such as the medical industry (esp US drug companies) were IT is audited. You must have heard my rants about a UK drug company I know under a US board having great trouble in passing Linux under its auditing procedures. Yet windows passes easily mainly because of the US government.

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  9. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I have, however it does depend on what level you're looking at (I've been looking at upper management job and a few recently have stated the CITP from the BCS). I have also seen jobs at my level (IT Manager) imply professional membership status from any Professional organisation (BCS, IET, etc).

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  10. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Who are the BCS - pity you're not in Dorset ! I've got nearly 100 coming to the Job Night event and a good 2/3 are members :biggrin

FS - yep, bin there, done that and go the T-shirt (my BA (Hons) is in Financial services, plus I was MLIA (dip) and ACBSI and held full FPC)

Somewhere (couldn't find the thread) I've commented that just recently I was contacted about a job by a recruiter specifically because I was a BCS member and the person spec for the job says MBCS desirable.

I think the issue here is that whilst BCS membership on it's own won't get you a job it does help to demonstrate you are a professional adhering to certain standards etc. The other thing is to have it prominently on your CV and to mention it in covering letters. The more you make people aware of it the better known it will become.

No, it's not like accountancy or law where you have to be accredited in order to practice and I wouldn't want that. However, there are tons of professional bodies which help to enhance their members prospects by their membership grades (eg banking, marketing, HR etc etc).

Phew ! I think I've said enough :p

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)