I am learning

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by greenbrucelee, May 15, 2008.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

So as most of you know I managed to get some interim work in the IT dept at where I work, along side my current duties.

I really havent done too much thats why I havent posted about it, but I began to think maybe I should to let everyone know and hopefully inspire anyone else looking for their first job in IT.

It really started last Thursday:I was involved in rebuilding one the servers in one of the departments :) Those bloody racks can be sharp especially if you clip your arm like I did and bleed all over the floor.

After I had all the racks in it was a case of me & one other tech to install all the CISCO hubs and following the list of where all the the cat5e and cat6 cables went. Then we had to get BT to do some testing before everything was deemed ok. Which it was, still took a couple of hours though.

Other things I have done are re-starting the productions queues and remapping drives. Also did some testing on a Adobe upgrade but I am still waiting for the upgrade to be approved by the IT manager.

Another thing is, I found out that we had a critical upgrade for our system bought last year wit licence for 21k and its been sitting in a box since then. So I am going to be installing it this weekend.

I am learning :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Good news.

Its nice when you get to get your hands dirty :)

Cept when its dirty with blood everywhere lol

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  3. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Sounds like you are enjoying it, GBL :thumbleft

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  4. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Oh yeah. Get used to having your fingers ruined by cage nuts as well... Always - always take a screwdriver that you are familiar with to prise them out - otherwise you can do what I once did and drag it all the way down your forearm... :(
    Hubs? Hubs?! Zhoiks! I think you mean switches :biggrin

Seriously - you are learning the best way possible - by doing. I'm pleased for you - the more you pickup, the better you'll be, and doing it the real way means you'll be infinitely better at the job (and therefore infinitely more employable) than if you just did a load of exams without understanding or caring about your job.

Good on yer!

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  5. greenbrucelee

Its good apart from having to get butterfly stitches because that ******** rack :)

6. greenbrucelee

Thats what happend to me, my fore arm looks like I have had a go at slitting my wrists in the dark with a blunt knife.

Yep, but I'm new at this :)

I have learned more in the last week by doing stuff than by reading some books. Seems to me the doing is way more advantageous for knowledge than just some books. I suppose thats why I recommend Trips book for the A+.

Cheers :)

7. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

It's good to read what people do in the job and how it varies. I think it's the best way to learn about stuff.
    I know we all do alot of studying but there's only so much you can learn from a book, it's not until you do some practical work it really sinks in and you learn something!:biggrin

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  8. greenbrucelee

I thought I'd do this thread since you were asking about it :)

9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

We are too alike... I had the same reaction. :biggrin

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  10. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

And now you get to see, firsthand, why we - and employers - believe experience is much more important than certifications. Yes, you've always believed that... but actually seeing it play out in real-life will give you absolute confirmation. :)

Good stuff, man! :thumbleft I enjoy hearing about how you're doing.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  11. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Good for you, GBL. Glad to hear you're getting a break. Enjoy yourself.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  12. greenbrucelee

Thanks everyone:)

My arm still looks like I've been dragged through a thorn bush, I havent hard an injury like this since I opened my first PC which was a 486 and had an extremly sharp bar that went across the hard drive bay.

13. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

Nothing wrong with some battle scars. :biggrin
    Keep up the good work GBL, getting stuck in with the wires and hardware beats a book any day!

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation