I am having a hard time joinig my xp pro computer to a domain

Discussion in 'Network Infrastructure' started by Vusi, Jan 11, 2007.

1. Vusi

Vusi Bit Poster

I am currently joining my windows xp computer to my windows server 2003 computer domain. I have created an account in active directory user and computer, and changed my name, entered my domain name. All I get is errors. Some body please
    help!!!!

Certifications: A+ , N+ and MCSE 70-270
    WIP: MCSE 70-290
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Number one rule here - when you get an error - write it down!

Post the error here and I'm sure someone will know what to do next.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. C_Eagle

C_Eagle Byte Poster

You don't need to add the computer name to the AD manually this will be done when it is joined to the domain.

Check the PC can see the domain controller (ping) then enter the machine name etc and domain. It should then ask for a username and password. (to join domain)

Enter it like this:

Username = domain\username
    Password = Password

If it doesn'tpromt you for username and password check the domain you are adding it to is correct and the same as your domain (not the AD name)

** May be worth removing the existing computer account and starting again**

To do this you will need Domain admin or higher or be in the join to domain group.

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, 70-270
    WIP: MCSA 70-290
  4. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

How are the machines physically connected?

Can you ping each machine from one another? What results do you get from nslookup on the domain controller and client?

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

What error message do you get?

As a test go to the run box and type \\<i.p address of server\ and see if you get a prompt for authentication.

Try what has been suggested so far but if you don’t get a prompt for authentication (when adding a PC to the domain) then I would guess it could be a DNS issue. Also I think it is possible to add a PC to the domain with a standard user account but as this is a test environment just use the default domain administrator account. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

a few things to make sure:

1. Make sure the client and the domain controller are in the same subnet range
    2. Make sure you got DNS running
    3. On the client side make sure it can ping both the domain controller and the DNS Server if they not the same machine
    4. Delete the account from the domain controller - join the machine to a WORKGROUP again, restart then try adding it to the domain now.

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  7. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Focus on DNS.

make sure that you have your preferred DNS server in the client set to the IP address of your domain controller. Then try again.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  8. Vusi

Vusi Bit Poster

I have tried every thing in the ms press book, but still not winning, can someone help by proving me with a sammerised step by step on all the settings nesesary to join my computer to the windows server 2003 domain, like dns, subnet, etc.
    I know it's of lot trouble but please help as I have been trying
    to do this for a while now.

Thanks guys.

9. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Vusi,

Have you tried looking at the things which have been suggested by our members? It is a far better feeling to have resolved the problem yourself than had someone guide you through it step by step.

10. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I agree with Si. The other members offered excellent suggestions to troubleshoot this issue. As far as a step-by-step procedure though...at least in theory, adding a computer to a domain is pretty easy...that is if the network infrastructure and server configurations have been configured properly.

Bluerinse is an MCSE and he (as well as others) suggested that you concentrate on DNS issues. If you don't understand how to set up a DNS server for the domain, you'll have the problems you seem to be having. DNS issues are *the* classic cause of your issue.

Other than that, I can't offer anything. The rest of the gang did a bang up job of diagnosing your issue. If your setup permits, you might want to just blow everything away and start from scratch. Reinstall your Windows server, run dcpromo and pay close attention to the setup, especially DNS. See if you can Google the correct method of configuring DNS so that computers can subsequently join the domain.

Go through all the suggestions and if this is still a problem, let us know. If you get errors, write them down and post them so that we have a better idea of what you're going through. Good luck. :)

EDIT: I decided to 'have mercy" and point you to an excellent resource. Daniel Petri's site is great and provides a lot of very useful tutorials related to Microsoft products. Try this page and go through the steps. Pay close attention to the links at the bottom of the page as they provide information about troubleshooting your problem. Cheers.

http://www.petri.co.il/joining_a_domain_in_windows_xp_pro.htm

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  11. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

WHAT ARE THE ERRORS FFS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jeez...

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  12. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I wonder if part of the problem is simple networking. You don't describe how you have set up your network so let's start with something simple. Let's say you have two PCs

PC 1 has Windows Server 2003 installed and promoted to a DC
    PC 2 has Windows XP Pro installed and currently belonging to a workgroup.

PC 1 and PC 2 are each attached to a small hub or switch with patch cables.

PC 1 has a static IP address of 192.168.0.1 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0

PC 2 has a static IP address of 192.168.0.2 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0

This puts both computers in the same subnet. We'll assume for this demonstration that there is no need for an internet connection. At this point, both PCs should be able to ping each other. I have attached a network diagram created with Visio as an aid. Let me know if this helps.

Attached Files:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  13. Vusi

Vusi Bit Poster

Firstly this is how I have setup my server computer in order to sort out my dns.

IP: 192.168.0.1
    subnet: 255.255.255.0
    dns: 192.168.0.1

On Advanced selected
    Prefer dns server as 192.168.0.1
    Append primary and connection specific dns suffixes
    DNS suffix for this connection ( contoso.com)

Register this connection address in DNS
    Use this connection in DNS suffix DNS registration.

Now this is what happens.
    1.when I ping the client computer from the server computer, it times out send 4 packets and receives none.
    2.On nslookup It cannot find server name for the address 192.168.0.1.

By the way the error that shows up when I connect the client computre to the domain is ( A domain controler for the contoso could not be contacted.Ensure that the domain name is typed correctly.)

14. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

What is your clients IP Address? Is it static or DHCP?

If its DHCP then what is acting as the DHCP Server?

15. Vusi

Vusi Bit Poster

It is static 192.168.0.2

16. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Hmmm,

Is this setup on physical machines, or Virtual ones?

If physical how are they physically connected? I.e. PC - Hub - Server?

I'm leaning towards this possibly not being DNS related at all.

8)

17. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

check that the xp and server machine are not running the windows firewall, that would block a ton of stuff and hamper your ability to troubleshoot

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  18. Vusi

Vusi Bit Poster

It a physical connection and the is no hub since I have only these two computers and the net net work cable is crossovered.

19. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Or any other firewall for that matter. You should be able to ping as everything else that you have said looks okay. A firewall can block a ping as well as other things

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  20. Vusi

Vusi Bit Poster

all fire wall are deactivate and this I am sure of.