i am back again to ask for new questions

Discussion in 'Networks' started by kobem, Nov 18, 2007.

1. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

in time i am concerned with my damn hard thesis , some bad questions arose in my brain

1- first

as i know google is in america yeah. so www.google.com is managed from there

also there exist www.google.de and www. google.com.tr

so , if google is managed from america , how can .de and .com.tr be exist?

2-second one is about DNS

for example while i connect to "www.hotmail.com" the mechanism is that i am able to enter
    these words not numbers is DNS

but DNS is on TCP also UDP( both connection-oriented and connectionless)

while i want to reach a site , isn't enough the dns server only in the network of the site i connect to? i mean

IS IT A MUST THAT THE DNS SERVER exist in both client and server side?

3- third one is also related to DNS

think you have a web site and your public ip address of web server was 88.111.22.34 and you decided
    to change your ISP for some specific reasons

and clients were connecting to your site before ,
    but your ip address would change because of moving to another ISP
    so , is this about DNS ?

i think even without DNS , they could not connect to 88.111.22.34 anymore(because it changed so what is the thing
    DNS made here?

Certifications: CCNA
  2. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

1 - Google - Load Balancing

2 - The question makes no sense

3 - How DNS works

Ordinarily I would tell you to buy a book, but you don't seem to want to listen to that so don't bother - just go to Google and type your queries in.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  3. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

A domain name such as google.com DOESN'T have to be hosted in America - can be hosted in UK or anywhere else. My business has a .co.uk and .com domain name - both are hosted and managed from the UK.

As for Google - the .com will be those that reside in America. The others - .de - will be for those who reside in Germany. I would imagine that the Servers reside in the domain name's country. This most likely aids in preventing traffic from crossing the atlantic etc i.e. someone in Germany can access the .de quicker then the .com as that web server is most likely in America. Also by google hosting in different countries it means that it can apply that country's laws to that particular version of Google - for instance they could filter out the Swastika from image searches within Germany's google.

DNS is a massive subject and I'd suggest you Google "How DNS Works". But the only thing DNS related on the client side is the DNS Resolver Cache (stores previous DNS request for a limited amount of time) and the DNS settings of the client. DNS is part of the TCP/IP suite of protocals and DNS requests are sent using UDP. DNS does not use TCP - TCP is part of the TCP/IP Suite...don't confuse the suite with one protocol or vice versa!

You need to study the Network+ as that course/cert deals with EVERYTHING you've posted on this forum!

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  4. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

couldn't buy a book but reading network+ documents on the net man also about dns!

second question again step by step

1- you are a client
    2- and you wish connecting to www.hotmail.com
    3- to write as www.hotmail.com , there must be a converter named dns
    4- but this dns server must exists in my network or in the network of www.hotmail.com ?
    5- or both side ?

5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

1) Read the response from Zeb and drum_dude
    2) Errr, basically your PC is using a DNS server to resolve www.hotmail.com .
    3) When you change ISP you get a new IP address. You can change the DNS settings for your website to point at the new IP. This will then replicate (this can take up to 72hrs) and then your website is back on-line.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. Sparky

What hotmail.com network? The website is sitting on a webserver somewhere, as long as your PC can resolve the domain to the correct IP thats all you need to access the site.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  7. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

hotmail.com is in a network , isn't it ? so dns server must be there only or both side (there and my network)?

8. Sparky

The DNS resolution doesnt matter on the hotmail.com web server in this case. As long as your PC can resolve the domain to the correct IP then that is it in regard to DNS.

9. drum_dude

Yep the DNS servers for hotmail.com are:

NS2.MSFT.NET
    NS4.MSFT.NET
    NS1.MSFT.NET
    NS5.MSFT.NET
    NS3.MSFT.NET

Your ISPs network will have dns server too that'll most likely contain the resolved name of hotmail.com - so a DNS request from you for Hotmail.com will never likely get to the hotmail nameservers as you're ISPs nameserver would have resolved it for others!

So DNS servers are at your side and Hotmails side...hopefully you'll understand that!

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
  10. Sparky

Yes, there has to be name servers that will host the DNS zone for hormail.com, this is replicated to other DNS servers on the tinternet. Therefore your ISPs DNS servers will have the correct IP address which points to hotmail.com

11. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

i think i understood the google part , but how can this be managed? google in many countries

also you may think cisco.com and cisco.com.tr

12. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

sorry but in order to have a "dns request" , should a dns server be in my network?
    or is it enough that i am a client ?

13. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

cisco.com and cisco.com.tr are all probably hosted on the same set of servers. What happens is that Cisco has a set of websites created in its primary language which is English in this case. Then they have the content of those sites translated into various languages including one for the .com.tr site. Then it's just a matter of uploading that content to the appropriate web server(s). You'll notice in your web browser's address field that the URL for cisco.com.tr is actually:

http://www.cisco.com/web/TR/index.html

The translated sites for cisco.com apparently exist as subsites of the top-level portal site for cisco, which is common. I'm writing yet another Microsoft Office SharePoint Server book and SharePoint has an entire translation/workflow process that allows original content to be translated and published to the web this way. While Cisco is probably not using SharePoint for this purpose, they are likely using a similar process for website translation and publication to the web.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  14. Sparky

Your client has to have the IP address of a DNS server. This can be a published 'real world' server or a DNS server on your network. It depends on what your network setup is.

15. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

tripwire's sentences are complicated , man!

and here the bottom part

[​IMG]

this picture shows my dns server i connected , maybe it is in my ISP!

i thought weird things

first

if i want to form a website(web server) , do i have to build a dns server in my network to enter
    URL as characters ?

second

in which circumstances should i need a dns server in my network without using ISP's dns server?

third

if i use ISP's dns server , should i have mine in my network?

16. Sparky

1) No,you don’t have to. You can register your domain with a domain hosting company and use their DNS servers.

2) If your network has many PCs an internal DNS server may be used to reduce outbound external DNS traffic, host the internal domain (if there is one), and also resolve the FQDN of a PC. This will stop PCs broadcasting for other resource names on the network as they will be using the DNS server for name resolution.

3) Eh?

17. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

So you're doing a masters thesis and need more people to do your research for you..... Well, I refuse. Do your own research, do your own learning. You seem to be a master manipulator, but you're not going to manipulate me into doing your work for you.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  18. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

sorry i try but i can't understand!

to ffreeloader and others : men , i search all time while im on my computer !

19. drum_dude

Kobem - I don't think you're cut out for this (IT). I'd look for an alternate career! I hear that Property is a booming industry in Turkey.

20. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Kobem,

If you can't understand stuff that millions of high school students understand, you have no business in a master's degree program. If anyone passes you, they are doing you no favors. You will not succeed outside of school because you cannot even understand the fundamentals.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1