I always have a beginners mind...(because i am!)

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by myfunkieststrole, Oct 16, 2009.

1. myfunkieststrole

myfunkieststrole New Member

Hi Everyone,

This is a double barrelled post, *deep breath*

Firstly id like to say cheers! becuse I started not knowing a lot about computers and certforums advice helped me land that entry It job years ago!

What has changed you ask? Well I still dont know a lot about computers :D but im still moving forward and have even been offered a new job! Huzzah!

A lot of it I will be very comfortable with, i have just under 3 years experience under my belt, 1 1/2 years
    hands on fixing/diagnosis of faults/ printers etc. and another year in a remote service callcentre role.
    So the day to day stuff such as making sure the print trays are full im quite happy with!:dry

This job is going to introduce me to a networking/junior admin environment, being on patrol, and being directly
    responsible for things going wrong. Eeek! I'm excited, but also a bit nervous as to some extent im venturing into the great unknown.

I told them this at interview and there happy to teach me what i dont know (EPIC win!!!) but I would like some advice if i may.

Can anyone who has been there and done that, or if you are in a similar junior network admin role have any advice on what to brush up on? any good resources or books to read? or maybe some tips on what they wish they new when they started?

Its a dream opportunity for me and the break ive been looking for, I really want to start as I mean to go on and make a good impression, hit the ground running and such.

Thanks in advance.

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: having a go at programming C++
  2. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

Hopefully you mean FIXING things rather than being the one who is breaking things :twisted:

Good on you for moving on up. IMO, if you have the position, they already think you have what they need, so i would just look forward to starting, then once you have been in it a week or two, you'll know a bit more about what your working with/what the priorities are in terms of technical skills and you can started gettin your teeth ino knowing all you can about these. Once you start post back with some of the stuff you'll be working with and then i'm sure people will be able to point you in the direction of more resources.

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  3. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

My Advice would be to do the network + material first, then the CCENT before thinking about the CCNA

This will build up your knowledge and fill in the gaps that jumping to CCNA will lead too.

Otherwise best to set your self up a mini network at home and let yourself loose.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  4. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

You're not the only one, IT is a vast and ever growing area of work and nobody truly knows it all. I'd be generous if I said that I know even 1% of all that there is to know about computers, IT hardware and software ;)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  5. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

I agree Net+ should be on your radar. I personally wouldn't look at CCENT/CCNA unless I'd been working on CISCO kit for some time...

6. j1mgg

j1mgg Kilobyte Poster

I am unsure if you just havent filled out the qualifications part or if you have none. From reading advice on here it would definatley be a hinderence starting with the ccna. I am unsure what exactly your expeirence is but there could be a whole lot more than just what you are thinking about.

I am currently studying the network+ and it making sense for most bit as i have to deal with basic networking(patching points and telephones) and would definately recommend this book.

Glad you have got the job(a bit jealous though) and i am sure you will be fine and have someone there to show you the ropes where you will learn it even better than from a book.

Good luck

Certifications: Comptia A+, ITIL V3 Foundation, MCDST, 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: 70-291, security+ and SSCP