Hz and bits ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kobem, Dec 19, 2007.

1. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

In computer world bits measurement is usually used for the data rate transferred. Hz is
    used as running speed of a digital device as far as i know.

Bytes/second = Hz ?

i am curious about why we can not say 1.7 GB/s for the CPU ? or 128 Mhz graphics card
    or whatever ?

:eek::eek::eek:

Certifications: CCNA
  2. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

erm... no. Hertz (Hz) is a measure of frequency: the cycles per second of a signal. ie, one cycle per second is 1 Hz.

Seriously, mate, I searched for "link between hertz and bytes per second" on google, and the first link was this. Is it really too much to ask that you do some research first?

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  3. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

heeeeeeyy , i analyzed that link but it seems complicated

can you explain the difference among bits and hz?

4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hz is a frequency such as you might see on a TV package that the TV has 100 hertz this means the picture on the tv is refreshed 100 times in a second.

Bits per second is how much data is transfered in a second.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

regarding your example also there is a refresh rate in our computers . (about Hz)

but in digital environment everything is formed 1 and 0s i mean bits though
    if we mention running speed of a RAM or another digital device
    it is expressed in Hz.

it is weird ?

In addition when we speak about a connection speed for instance speed of a LAN
    we say it type of bits 100 Mbps as an example........

6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

No, it's not weird at all. When discussing connection speeds, I don't care how many times an electronic signal oscillates per second - I care about how much data is flowing through the connection per second. To use a non-IT example: when I'm driving down the road, I don't care how many times my tires rotate per second (a measure of Hertz)... I care about how many miles (kilometres) per hour my car is travelling.

When discussing speeds of RAM or a CPU, it's not useful to know how much data flows through these devices per second... we simply want to know how fast the device operates, and we do that as a measure of Hertz. Why would someone want to measure these devices in terms of bits per second? All you want to know is whether one component processes faster than another.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

JUst to add say a processor is 2.4GHz this is to with the clock cycle

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  8. Mathematix

Mathematix Megabyte Poster

Hz is a measure of frequency, that is how many times a source resonates per second. What does 'resonate' mean? When something resonates it vibrates, and the rate at which this vibration, that is the complete cycle of a sine wave. See this link.

Bit per second is a measure of data throughput that is limited by the frequency at which a device operates in conjunction with its bandwidth and various algorithms (such as compression algorithms) that are used to increase throughput.

Certifications: BSc(Hons) Comp Sci, BCS Award of Merit
    WIP: Not doing certs. Computer geek.
  9. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

All good explanations.

You should have picked this up in basic physics 101. Hertz = cycles per second.

All computers have a 'system clock', this is normally a quartz crystal oscilator like you get in a digital watch.

This is not a clock in the regular sense (there is also an on board clock chip), it is a square wave signal generator.

The computer is a state machine, changes in state are generally allowed once per clock cycle. The faster the cycle the more changes can occur faster.

The processor and memory generally run off the same system clock. Only nowadays we have multipliers so i imagine the clock signal is divided by the cpu or memory controller?

I'm sure an electronics engineer could give a fuller explanation...

The NIC will also operate at one or more frequencies, but just as BM says its not considered the most important factor.
    Just as Hz is not always a good measure of processor speed the same can be said of other circuits.
    A parallel port will have a higher transmission rate at the same Hz than a serial port for instance.
    Or with the tyre analogy, imagine a childs bike wheel and a trackor tyre, if they both turned at the same rate (Hz) the tractor wheel would make a vehicle travel further and faster.

10. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

Yes, in fact they have nothing to do with each other. It would be the same question as "What is the link between the hartbeat and the speed that people talk with?"

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  11. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

This may sound very harsh, but did you ever go to school?

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  12. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

last questions :

1-analog and digital device ? (i read definitions of analog and digital but device
    part is a bit sophisticated)

2-for xample RAM or CPU is called as digital device but when you say about speed of them
    you use analog term , Hz , why ?

3- and while data is carried between devices RAM , CPU or a graphics card ,
    is all event digital ?

4- for a signal to become digital , initially it has to be analog , right?

5- on wireless side we mention 2.4 GHz frequency of a clock signal generated by wireless - enabled
    device (etc.) additionally use bps type for amount of data transfer

however using "cables" (cabled) we do not tell the type of Hz just bps type
    why not ?

i am aware of these f.cking damn questions are nonsense but i want to kill
    my brain producing this.

13. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Then why don't you get the A+ book we have recommended many times and read the thing. You will learn the answers to all these questions if you do. A Network+ book would also do you some good.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  14. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

is that a promise?
    First, could you PLEASE stop with the use of bold and color and all that stuff? We read what you write and I assure you we read well. I cleaned up your mess for now.

I hate to bring this to you, but in the real sense of the word there is no digital device. All electric devices use currents and are therefor analog. Data can be stored digital using binairy code. Digital means: I have a 1 or I have a 0 (simplified). There is nothing in between. If you have an electronic device it needs some time to go from the 0 state to the 1 state. That is, it is somewhere in between.
    Normally speaking the term didgital is used for devices which are working with (not in) only 0 state and 1 state, analog devices are things that can also have every state in between. A volt meters with a dail and arrow hand is (mostly) analog.

See answer on topic 1.

Same answer. The data is physically carried from one device to another device using current. This wave is analog. It could be a square wave, but it is still analog.
    The data itself is interpreted as a 0 when the current is from let's say 0 volt to .5 volt and it is seen as a 1 when it is from 3.2 to 3.5 volt. It is interpreted as digital.

yes

I don't believe the frequenties will be a limit to the cables for what they are designed for. We do however speak of the frequenties of cables. Why do you think there is a limit to the lenght of a cat 5 UTP cable? Why do you think it is twisted? Could you use a cat 5 cable on a 10 GB network? Why not?
    BTW, the answers on my 4 questions can be fould in any better N+ book.

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  15. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

I find the need for a thread on this topic astonishing on a technical forum, especially from someone who claims to be working on their masters degree in computer science.

I asked my wife, who is far from a technical guru and makes no claims to understanding anything about computers, if she understood the difference between between hz and a bit. She wasn't familiar with the term hz so I said, you know like how AC electricity cycles between positive and negative, and a bit like comes over the internet, a 1 or a 0. She grasped what I meant immediately and had no difficulty at all in explaining to me how the two are different.

That someone who claims to be working on a masters degree cannot do the same just leaves me scratching my head as to why someone so out of their depth continues on in a line of endeavor for which they are entirely unsuited intellectually. No, I'm not saying anyone is dumb, but I am saying there are different kinds of intelligence, and anyone who can't grasp the difference between a hz and a bit at first blush doesn't have the type of intelligence required to succeed in this field. You're either born with technical ability or you're not, so this isn't a personal slam. It's a statement of fact.

I know of a wonderful lady psychologist who is an absolutely great teacher too. I know, I've taken several psych classes from her, but the woman can barely add 2 + 2 and get 4. She knows it too, and warns her students up front that if they find mistakes in addition to come and tell her and she will make it right. She knows she just can't grasp math and makes allowances for it.

She just cannot grasp math, yet she's far from stupid, and has a very successful career as a psychologist. We're all different, and we all have different kinds of smarts.

There's times when I struggle with advanced aspects in this field that I wonder if I'm technically astute enough for it, yet I'm miles ahead of this type of struggle with absolutely basic concepts.

Kobem, do yourself a favor and get out of any type of technical field of endeavor. There are other fields of study in which you can succeed. You're just not going to succeed in this field. You struggle with things that the rest of us get almost by osmosis, and that ought to tell you something.

Get to know who you are. Please. It's just absolutely painful to watch you flounder around so far out of your depth. You're obviously fairly intelligent, it's just that technology is not one of those areas. Go explore other things to do for a living, and just play around with technical things as a spare time hobby if you want. But, don't do this for a living. You're going to be miserable for the rest of your life if you do. You'll be like a fish out of water your entire life if you don't move on.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  16. stuPeas

stuPeas Megabyte Poster

Here Here !!!

Certifications: C&G Electronic, CIW Associate (v5).
    WIP: CIW (Website Design Manager)