Hypothetical VMWare Question

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by tripwire45, Jan 4, 2004.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Let's say I wanted to do a series of screen shots of an Operating System install such as Windows XP. I now have a machine with enough resources for a virtual network and a copy of VMWare. Assuming I get VMWare installed without incident and download a demo version of a screen shot program, is it possible for me to capture different screen shots of the different phases of the OS installation as it's occurring? If so, what's the best way to do it? Thanks.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  2. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Go to the virtual machine that your doing this on.

Click Edit, then Virtual Machine Settings, and then options.

At the bottom right of this screen is the section where you specify where to store the snapshot.By default, this just stays as the Virtual machine itself.

Just click browse, and then, choose your particular picture program.I just tried My Pictures.

Then, when your doing your install, click the "Snapshot" button in VMWare.
    Then go to My Pictures, and you'll see your snapshot.However, I just tested this, and the next snapshot you take overrides the previous snapshot.
    Therefore, you must have to save each snapshot, in the program you stored it in, otherwise it'll be overwritten by the next snapshot.

Try Snagit demo for a screen capture utility.

I haven't tried this yet with VMWare, but I've thought myself of keeping snapshots of my certforums lab partners tasks.So I might give this a try.

It might, but I'm not certain, be not wise to take snapshots at certain points in the install, such as when saving settings.I have found once that it caused the install to cease.Might just have been my machine, but just some advice.

I tested this with WinXP Pro.I'll give it a go with snagit, then report back.
    However, opening up the snapshots in Picture It, which comes with XP Pro, is quite good, with editing features, etc.

3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

I'm not sure this would work while I was actually installing the operating system of the virtual machine since in order to use the virtual machine settings (at least as far as my meager understanding goes) the operating system of the virtual machine has to be completely installed.

I did find another option, though. And once the OS is fully installed, making screen captures is a "virtual" snap. :wink:

Don't worry...I'm getting close to finishing the manual and will be installing VMWare in a day or so. I'm collecting the recommended requirements for the various machines I intend on working with. Hard drive space is not problem, assuming I'll go with the standard 4 GB HDD space per virtual machine but for RAM, it looks like each server OS will need 256 MB while I may be able to get away with using only 128 MB for Windows 2000 pro and XP pro. Assuming two servers and two workstations, we're looking at a maximum memory usage of 768 MB. The host machine has 1.25 GB on board so I'd have only 384 MB of RAM in reserve with that configuration. How's that sound?

4. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Use the "Print Screen" button on your keyboard. I just tried it with vmware and it work fine. What I do is have the image program that your working on open then hit the Print Screen when you need a screen shot then go the the paint program and click paste. You can also paste screen dumps like this into Word if but a paint program is would be better as you'll need to trim off the edges of the picture.

HTH
    :D

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Actually, a fellow on another forum made the same suggestion. Guess great minds think alike. Thanks, Si. Any comments on the following:

6. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

No, this isn't true as far as some settings.If you wanted to add another virtual device, you have to switch the VM machine off, therefore you have to either exit the setup, or wait until your OS is running.

However, for using the resume button, snapshot button, and changing the machines options, these can be done during setup of the OS.
    I just keep in mind that the OS's are mere "guests" and it's VM that's running the show.

My suggestion doesn't work, because you can only store one snapshot at a time.If you could store more than one snapshot at a time, then it would work perfectly.I tried getting around this by saving the snapshot and saving it to my pictures, and then doing the next snapshot.However, it would always override the previous one.I could take print the screen from the snapshot, but what's the point, when you can print the screen directly :oops:

Your quote looks fine to me.You might want more than 4GB for your main server, depending on what you'll put on it.You can change the amount of RAM assigned to each VM when the machine is off, but you cannot change the size of the virtual hd after the initial configuration.

If you specified 4GB hd and ended up needing more disk space, you can add another virtual disk, and then span the existing disk onto the new disk.Of course, you'd need to be running an OS capable of spanning.

At initial configuration you can tell VM to use your hosts physical disk to supply the VM machine, however this is not recommended!!!

Thanks!

7. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

When I click this, nothing happens :unsure

8. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

It doesnt print, it makes a copy of whats on the screen into the clipboard so you can paste it into an application. After you have pressed print screen go into Word and click paste. :D

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  9. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Sorry, sorted this.In fact, just realised I can do what I was trying to do earlier.You just have to set the snapshot to go to My pictures.Then all you have to do is open paint, new, then paste the pic, then save it.
    The next snapshot you do will override the one existing in My Pictures, but that's ok because it'll be saved in Paint.

Same difference whichever way you do it Trip, really.

Hope I make sense :!:

10. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Cool. I loaded the VMWare Workstation software this morning but will save creating the first virtual machine and loading the OS until tomorrow when everyone is gone. It's been chaotic today. I think the kids are ready to go back to school. My daughter especially has been a pain today.

I'll give it a shot tomorrow and see how things turn out. Thanks.