Hyper-V. SCSI 2 IDE problems

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by garyb, Jul 16, 2010.

1. garyb

garyb Byte Poster

Hello,
    I am running Hyper-V core and trying to get my first guest VM up and running, having tried many options without much joy I hoped someone could assist.

Attempt 1
    Using Acronis True Image echo server with UR I converted a Server 2000 tib to VHD. I then copied this across to the Hyper-V local drive and created a new VM pointing the hard drive to the vhd image.

When I boot this up all I get is "Boot failure. Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot media in selected Boot device". The original server had SCSI disks, the Hyper-V server doesn't, but I have ensured that it boots from an IDE disk and that it is in fact booting from that not the CD. Guess this is because the VHD image is trying to boot from SCSI? This works fine on VMware by the way.

Attempt 2
    Long winded but it worked.
    1 - Using Acronis True Image echo server with UR I converted a Server 2000 tib to vmdk. I then copied this across to the VMWare server on my test laptop and created a new VM pointing the hard drive to the vmdk image
    2 - In VMWare I added IDE disk to VM while off.
    3 - Boot guest vm up, let it install drivers, check the drive exists
    4 - Power down guest vm and remove the IDE drive.
    5 - Convert VMDK file to VHD format using Vmdk2Vhd utility and copy to Hyper-V server
    6 - Create new Virtual Machine in Hyper-V selecting “Use an existing virtual hard disk” and select the VHD file that I created. Got to be an easier method than this

There must be loads of others who have done p2v scsi to ide more efficiently than above methods!

Can anyone suggest a better solution that either of the above to migrate 2 physical servers across? I have tried disk2vhd and am in process of copying the 28gb image across to Hyper-V, however it doesn't support Win 2000 servers of which I need 1 migrating?

My preference has always been the Acronis boot route with Universal Restore but Hyper-V wont allow the keyboard or mouse, so I am stumped. I attempted it with BartPE + Acronis+ UR but just doesnt load UR or NIC drivers so ditched that too!

Kind regards

Gary

WIP: MCSA 2003
  2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

You can't currently have a SCSI boot device in Hyper-V, it's one of the short comings of Hyper-V.

As far as P2V'ing the disk, the only way I can think about doing it easily would be to install a server with WDS, Syspreping the Win2000 machine, uploading the WIM file to the WDS server and deploying said server to a new VHD (you would need to use a legacy NIC rather than the generic one when first building up the new VHD).

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. garyb

garyb Byte Poster

Thanks for your quick response Simon..
    Yes, that's why I think it wont boot so took the steps to add an IDE drive in VMware prior to exporting to VHD. Bit of a pain bit it works.

As I only have 3 servers to virtualise, perhaps would be quicker going the route in step 2 above whereby I add the IDE drive. Once I have them running on Hyper-V I wont encounter this again as all guest machines will then be IDE. I can simply backup / restore if/when disaster strikes.

Does seem odd that Acronis works with ESXi / VMWare but not Hyper-V, wonder who's at blame here, my bets on Acronis, support isnt all that.

regards

Gary

4. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

The WDS solution can be built up as quickly as 20 minutes but if you're happy with the Acronis route then go for it.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  5. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Yeeeeah - Hyper-V is clearly an Enterprise-ready virtualisation solution. After all, who wouldn't run production servers on IDE interfaces... :twisted:

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  6. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

TBF it's not actually too bad, we are running a couple of Dev SQL db servers here and the through put isn't bad. It's not the disk format that makes Hyper-V a poor Enterprise virtualisation platform, it's the lack of a proper vmotion (because Live Migration isn't as good as vMotion) and the lack of decent 3rd party products out there for Hyper-V compared to VMware.

I do actually prefer ESX\vSphere however, it's more meaty and just a better product.

7. garyb

garyb Byte Poster

I have to say I'm only just starting out with Hyper-V and from what I am experiencing VMware vSphere Hypervisor may indeed suit my needs more, I have put nearly a week into this though so I really feel I should try and crack it?

On a side issue is there any console with VMware vSphere Hypervisor to manage hardware at all? I would like to disable Large Send Offload on tye physical adaptor to see if it increases NIC speeds of large files, currently a 28gb VHD has taken 5 hours from my NAS box to Hyper-V drive! Cant seem to run devcon.exe on the Hyper-V, chuffed!

regards

8. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Aye - I was being a bit flippant there. I had a good back & forth with Shini about Hyper-V vs VMWare a while back. It's still a stupid oversight on MS' part though - IDE performance is a damn sight more inefficient than SCSI and the fact that Hyper-V has to emulate IDE on SCSI architecture is plain nuts - and further indications that it's just not to be taken seriously for Enterprise rollouts. like I said in my previous posts with Shini - it's fine for departmental virtualisation, or for development purposes. No way in Hell would I run my infrastructure on it though.

9. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

You would need to run a v-center server, that does all your indepth management.

With regards to the devcon on the hyper-v server you can enable remote management and utilise a device manager from a gui'd version of the OS and connect to the server that way.

What NAS box is it?

10. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

How about having to enable Client for Microsoft Networks and File and Printer Sharing on iSCSI interfaces for Live Migration to work :rolleyes:

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  11. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Damn - is that right? That's insane.

12. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

I thought so too until I actually ran into problems.

Live migration was failing and I found this blog entry:
    http://tech-head.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!8563304F134DDCB6!364.entry
    Not 100% sure if there isn't a workaround available but enabling Client for Microsoft Networks and F&P Sharing seems to solved it. (I was getting same error messages as in this blog).

Ridiculous

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  13. garyb

garyb Byte Poster

Hi again,
    Starting to get a little bit jarred with Hyper_v now! I disabled "Large Send Packets" on physical server and copied 28GB VHD across lan to physical DC, took 19 minutes which is better than 3 hours, which it was yesterday!

I have changed switch port, cables & registry settings on Hyper-V physical NIC to what I think also disables "Large send offload", rebooted with no success, the copy reports from 55 - 170 minutes, up and down? When copying a 250mb file across it does so in 30 seconds or so.

registry items disabled [set to 0]:
    LsoV1IPv4
    LsoV2IPv4
    *TCPUDPChecksumOffloadIPv4
    *TCPUDPChecksumOffloadIPv6

Anyone got any ideas, this is driving me to shiraz!