Hyper V Question

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by craigie, Dec 29, 2009.

1. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Is it possible to have your Physical O/S (Server 2008 64Bit) as a Member Server of a Virtual Hyper V Domain?

If so when you power the machine on, does Hyper V start the DC first, then you login on your Physical Sever, which validates credentials on your Virtual Server?

I have used Hyper V at work, but this has always been for member servers, not the other way round.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Yes it is possible, is it recommend? I don't know. We run a virtual DC on a member server, however we also have a physical DC.

It starts all the VM at the same time, there is a setting where you can specify the order in which the VM's boot up (I believe it's under "Automatic Start Action"). However as I'm not at work, so I can't double check.

If you do do this, you may want to ensure that you have enabled cached credentials, plus also ensure that you can still log on locally to the member server (in case you disable the local admin account, etc) so that you can trouble shoot any issues that you may come across.

It was always recommended that you do not have a mixture of Virtual & Physical DC's, however I believe that since 2008 r2 (don't know about the r1 release), that has been retified (timings and transfers).

I hope that you find this useful :)

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Cheers Ken, much appreciated.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5