Hyper V networking

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by simonp83, May 22, 2010.

1. simonp83

simonp83 Kilobyte Poster

I've setup Hyper V 2008 on server 2008 r2 and appeared to setup the networking correctly, or so i thought anyway, but my virtual Vista machine can't see any network.

Current settings are the server 2008 r2 machine has 3 network connections, the external connection to the outside world i.e. LAN1, a disconnected secondary connection i.e. LAN2, and the virtual LAN connection that was setup by Hyper V i.e. VLAN.

Now, the network in Hyper V network manager is set to use the VLAN as the virtual network, set in external mode and using LAN1 in external mode, also set the Allow management operating system to share this network adapter. LAN1 only has the virtual networking protocol enabled and VLAN has all of protocols enabled apart from the virtual networking one - this was automatically set by HyperV. Installed a fresh copy of Vista Ultimate onto my first virtual machine but it can't detect any networks at all.

Any help please?

edit: Oh and the virtual machine is set to use VLAN as it's network connection. MAC address is dynamic, enable mac spoofing is off and enable vlan identification is greyed out.

Last edited: May 22, 2010
    Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP
    WIP: 70-291
  2. simonp83

simonp83 Kilobyte Poster

Windows 7 VM i've just setup in exactly the same way works fine...going to be upgrading the Vista VM to Windows 7 so just ignore my madness.

But...what's the best way to do it so the virtual network is on a private network where i can assign ip addresses, etc but still connect to the internet through the host machine?

3. TommyTee

TommyTee Byte Poster

can you ping into or out of the vista machine? with some XP clients i've used before I had to turn off/modify firewall to get them to 'see' one another.

4. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

The best way of doing that would be to have one of your machines with two virtual nics, one of them using an address range of your choice (either 10.x.x.x, 172.16.x.x or 192.168.x.x) and the rest of your machines on the same range, the second card would get it's address from the same DHCP server as your physical NIC and that would use your existing gateway out to the internet.

Your virtual network clients would use the IP address of the internal address on the machine with two nics (either the 10.x.x.x, 172.16.x.x or 192.168.x.x address) and connect that way.

You could even setup the routing on your physical network to connect through to the virtual network if you wanted, you would just need to add a persistant route to any client that wanted to connect to it.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  5. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

You could also highlight your physical NIC and the Virtual NIC, right click and Bridge connections. This would give the Hyper-V virtual network internet access.

Is it right that I've gone into the future after having ate so many burgers and hot dogs + beer???

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  6. simonp83

simonp83 Kilobyte Poster

Sounds simple to implement, so you'd basically use a machine as a gateway the joins the virtual network with the real network?

7. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

You use two different networks, the first would be the internal network, the second would be the external network, one machine would have both nics and it's as simple as that.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA