Hyper-v Networking problem

Discussion in 'Microsoft Hyper-V Virtualization' started by simongrahamuk, Jul 7, 2011.

1. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I recently started looking at Hyper-V and decided that the best way to do this would be to do a Bootcamp installation of Server 2008 R2 onto my MacBook and install the Hyper-V Role.

As my Hyper-V 'server' is running on my home broadband connection I have left it as a DHCP wireless client. (After installing the necessary networking components to make wireless work with 2008.)

I have set up ICS on the Hyper-V server and created an Internal Virtual Network for my VM's to use. (I had to do this since Hyper-V networking will not natively support wireless adapters).

When my Vm's are stand alone clients they can connect to the internet just fine (using the Internal Virtual network, and the ICS, recieving an IP address from my Home Hub), however I now want to setup a virtual domain and allow my vm's to talk to each other, and still connect to the internet.

In essence what I'm asking is how can I do this so that my Host gets a DHCP address from my Home Hub, whilst I can assign my VM's addresses on a different subnet, so that they can talk to each other, but still connect to the Internet through ICS?

I have tried leaving them all as DHCP clients, however the VM clients cannot see the VM DC.

Suggestions? Or am I going to have to start configuring routing on a VM and have them connect through that way?

:blink:rolleyes::eek:

2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Ok, what you need to do is configure your DC to have two NICs, one shared with the external nework, the other configured as an internal or private lan.

The rest of your guest OS's need to be configured with the private lan network.

On the DC you would leave the DHCP settings for the external NIC (including the gateway) but you would then configure your DC DHCP server scope settings to issue out the DC's internal NIC as the gateway for the rest of the internal clients (but don't actually configure the second NIC with a gateway address). Also on the DNS server settings you want to configure your Forwarders to your ISP's DNS servers (or OpenDNS for that matter). If you're setting each guest OS manually, just make sure you configure the DC's internal address as the gateway for the rest of the clients.

If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Many thanks Simon.

I'm sure I've configured something like that in the past, on an old lab, but its been a while, and this is the first time I've tried it with Hyper-V.

Will take a look tonight, or during the weekend and see how I get on.

Simon.

4. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Ok, so I've finally got round to looking at this and I'm still having issues.

Ok, so I may not have been clear about this in my original post, however I can't create an External Network in Hyper-V Manager. The option to create an External network is greyed out, this is presumably because I'm using a wireless adapter as the network connection for my host.

I can however create an Internal network that connects still allows Internet access as the Host is configured ICS. I can then create a Private Network, and configure it as necessary.

Essentially what I currently have set up is this:

Host 1 x Wireless Network Adapter running ICS and working using IP from home router DHCP Server
    DC - 1 x Internal Network Adapter working uisng IP from home router DHCP Server (Presumably through ICS), 1 x Private Network Adapter configured with a different address and range for the my lab network.
    Client 1 x Private Network Adapter configured through DHCP (running on my DC).

Host can access Internet, as can DC. Client cannot, even when address is manually set to be on the same subnet as the DC's Private Network adapter.

Suggestions?

5. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Just bumping my post back up the list! :twisted:

I suspect that this may not be something that has been encountered before as who would run a server on wireless? I mean really? :biggrin

6. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Um...

:oops:

me

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  7. Dell mountainman

Dell mountainman New Member

that's a great explanation. it's really helpful for when we are facing a problem with Hyper-v server virtualization :)