Hyper V lab for Server 2003

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by simonp83, Aug 28, 2010.

1. simonp83

simonp83 Kilobyte Poster

Currently have 2 virtual 2003 servers running within Hyper V, setup as below:

Server01 - Server 2003 sp2 x86 - configured as a domain controller for the domain named contoso.com.
    Configured with both an External Network connection and an Internal Network connection. This accesses the internet fine without issue.
    External Network connection - obtain IP address automatically
    Internal Network connection - obtain IP address automatically

Server02 - Server 2003 sp2 x64 - fresh install, no configuration.
    Configured with just an Internal Network connection.
    Internal Network connection - obtain IP address automatically

Now my question is, how do i configure it so that Server02 connects to Server01 to access the internet and to actually see the server? I've had a play, setting the internal networks up with static ips of 10.0.0.1 and 0.2, but didn't seem to get anywhere.

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP
    WIP: 70-291
  2. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

These might be silly questions, but best to start with the basics
    1 - Have you set DNS up properly on the DC? It should point to itself for DNS, and have forwarders set up (your router - where you're presumably getting your external IP from
    2 - Have you joined the second server to the domain, and configured it with the DC's IP address for DNS?
    3 - Can you ping the DC from the second server? Ping back to the server from DC1? Can you ping external IP addresses from the second server? How about the internal interface of your router?
    4 - Is the Windows firewall turned on - either on the DC or the server?
    5 - Not familiar enough with Hyper-V, but I presume it's got something similar to the networking possibilities of VMWare (Bridged, NAT, internal-only etc) - have you checked that the correct networking configuration is enabled?

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  3. simonp83

simonp83 Kilobyte Poster

Server01 - External connection
    Automatically receive an ip address.
    Server01 - Internal connection
    IP = 10.0.0.1
    Subnet = 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway = blank

Preferred DNS = 127.0.0.1

Server02 - Internal Connection
    IP = 10.0.0.2
    Subnet = 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway = blank

Preferred DNS server = 10.0.0.1

Both servers are unable to see each other or ping each other.

I'll go through your settings above and see if that changes anything, thankyou for the reply.

edit:

1 - Have you set DNS up properly on the DC? -just going through the 290 book and it didn't say anything in the first couple of chapters about setting up dns, only a domain. DNS has the following settings - interfaces - all ips including 10.0.0.1 and 192.168.1.189 (automatically configured ip from my router), forwarders set to be my router ip 192.168.1.1, zone is set to be zone.contoso.com.
    2 - Have you joined the second server to the domain, and configured it with the DC's IP address for DNS? Just get an error saying domain controller can not be contacted for the contoso.com domain
    3 - Can you ping the DC from the second server? Ping back to the server from DC1? Can you ping external IP addresses from the second server? How about the internal interface of your router?neither
    4 - Is the Windows firewall turned on - either on the DC or the server? turned off for both

Last edited: Aug 28, 2010
  4. trebor_88

trebor_88 Byte Poster

Have you setup DNS on server1? I would give it a static IP and reserve this on your router as well.

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, MCSA, MCITP:EDST, MCTS:7
    WIP: VMware VCP 5, MCSE and CCNA
  5. simonp83

simonp83 Kilobyte Poster

Fixed it - needed setting as a private network and not an internal network, go figure. Server02 is now a member of the domain and can now access the internet with me sharing the external connection on server01. I can also ping server01 from server02 via name and ip address, however, when pinging server02, it does know the ip address is 10.0.0.2 which is correct.

edit: All 100% fixed, thankyou for your help

Last edited: Aug 28, 2010