1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hyper-V core NIC speeds

Discussion in 'Virtual Computing' started by garyb, Jul 22, 2010.

1. garyb

garyb Byte Poster

Good afternoon,
    On a Dell PE T610 I have Hyper-V core running, with 2 x Broadcom BCM5709C NetXtreme II GigE installed. I have noticed that copying large files 17GB for example, from a network physical server to the Hyper-V host local drive [not vm guest] is very slow in comparison to copying from Physical to Physical servers.

Copying a 17GB file physical to Hyper-V host takes 30 minutes
    Copying a 17GB file physical to physical host takes 15 minutes

Can someone tell me exactly what registry nodes I should disable on Hyper-V NICs to improve performance. So far I have gone to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} and set the following to 0 on both physical NICs:
    *LSOv1IPv4
    *LSOv2IPv6
    *TCPUDPChecksumOffloadIPv4
    *TCPUDPChecksumOffloadIPv6

Should I also disable *TCPConnectionOffloadIPv4 & *TCPConnectionOffloadIPv6?

Many thanks in advance

WIP: MCSA 2003
  2. wagnerk
    Highly Decorated Member Award

wagnerk aka kitkatninja Moderator

Which version of Hyper-V are you using? As Version 2 has improved network performance. If you do have version 2, you have to enable "VM Chimney" (it's disabled by default for "legacy" hardware/non-compatible hardware).

-Ken

Certifications: CITP, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, PTLLS, MCT, MCITP, MCTS, MCSE, MCSA:M, MCSA, MCDST, MCP, MTA, MCAS, MOS (Master), A+, N+, S+, ACA, VCA, etc... & 2nd Degree Black Belt
    WIP: PGDip
  3. garyb

garyb Byte Poster

Hi Ken,
    Its Server 2008 Core R2, I can confirm physical NIC drivers are the latest and "Chimney" is enabled, the driver update forced this.

Very strange.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2010
    WIP: MCSA 2003