Problem Hyper V - Configuring a simple domain?

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by Dubfire, Dec 7, 2010.

1. Dubfire

Dubfire Byte Poster

Hi,

I hope everyone is well.

I've got server 2008 installed with Hyper V added as a role, my server has only one NIC card. I have two virtual machines installed withine Hyper V; Server 2008 and a Vista client. The server O/S is a DC. I'm attempting to network the two virtual machines but I cant seem to gain connectivity.

I've attached a couple of attachments to help explain.

Many thanks.

Attached Files:

Certifications: N+, 270.
    WIP: 291 then 284 for the MCSA.. ITIL...
  2. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Not sure if that's it but you have to specify which network the network adapter is connected to in virtual machine settings. (Can't tell if you have done it from your screenshots). This will cause network cable unplugged if not configured.

Attached Files:

• cf.jpg
      cf.jpg
      File size:
      5.7 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2010
    WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  3. Dubfire

Dubfire Byte Poster

Thanks for your reply, Luke.

That makes sense - I'll change the adapter settings and hopefully all will be well.

Cheers.

4. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Also did you install the Integration services tools on each VM? it will provide you with the necessary drivers in case you're missing that.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  5. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

I think you don't need to do it on W2008 machines.

It needs to be done on Vista though.

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  6. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Did not know that... I only have 2k3 servers on my Hyper-V lab..

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  7. Dubfire

Dubfire Byte Poster

Ok, Ive installed the intergration services from the action menu, as advised, and changed both machines to use the internal virtual network on each network adapter's settings. But still the Vista machine has not sight of the virtual NIC. I've re-booted both machines...

Once again I've attached a couple of screen shots

Guys, once again, I'm in need of guidence - help!

8. Dubfire

Dubfire Byte Poster

Right, its the new year so now its time to make a new years resolution and start studying! But first, before my enthusiasm gets to busting point, I need to sort this hyper V network problem out! I'm close to wiping the OS of the server and starting again. Can anyone offer any advice on configuring this Hyper V network between the client and server? And yes, I do know this is day one week one...

Cheers.

9. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

Keep it simple, so begin by ensuring you have a single virtual network (internal, external or private... just remember that the private one won't let the virtual machines "see" the host).

Ensure each virtual machine has a network card assigned to it in the settings panel, and ensure that this network card is configured to use the virtual network I mentioned above.

Ensure the integration tools are installed, and reboot. Configure an IP address for the machines. Perform the usual ping testing of localhost, 127.0.0.1, own IP, other machines IP and gateway (if appropriate).

In some rare cases, a non-compliant network card on the host machine may cause errors such as trying to retrieve updates from the internet or other misc errors, but updating the NIC drivers or setting some registry keys fixes this. But shouldn't be a problem for you if you configured a private network.

If it still doesn't work, go through step-by-step, the Hyper-V getting started guide on technet. Just take it in steps and ensure all integration tools are installed, all network cards are visible, leave the rest at default such as a dynamic MAC address. And also, a wifi network isn't supported for use in Hyper-V to host your internal/external virtual network...

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM